Friday, March 6, 2020

Wanna run 'em?


Joan went to Cindy's again today, leaving Rufus and me on our own.  I had a small project I wanted to get done in the motorhome (a curved piece of trim came partially undone), and I knew I would need several clamps.  I have plenty at home, but all I had with me on this trip are too small.  I took the scoot to Harbor Freight.  Traffic on the secondary road was thick.  Might be because there is a NASCAR event this weekend, and it is on this end of town... the locals know to stay off I-10.

I made my way to Harbor Freight, got 20% off my less than $10 purchase, and headed back to the scoot.  As I was getting my helmet out of the top case, I heard a voice behind me: "How fast will that thing go?"

"Faster than I care to ride it," I replied.  The guy told me he had a Burgman 650 and said, "It sure looks like your Vespa would be more fun to ride in town."

He was surprised when I told him I have had it to 75mph (GPS speed, not speedometer)... "You could maybe get 80 out of it, if you were patient and didn't have a headwind.  But 65 is really comfortable.  I run 70 if I need to stay with the flow of traffic, but that isn't its strong suit."

He just couldn't imagine this 250 Vespa could go 75mph.  "Yeah, it surprised me, too," I told him.  His Burgman is a very capable road bike, easily capable of topping 100mph.  I don't have a reason to be going that speed.  I think the Vespa gave him something to thing about.

It took a while to get out of the parking lot, due to the traffic.  But, once on the secondary road going west, there wasn't much traffic.  At a red light, a jacked up black pickup pulled alongside me in the next lane (we were both first in line).  When the light turned green, I left him behind.  He caught up fast on the 45mph road, and we were both first at the next light.  He wasn't going to be left behind this time.  He got on it hard... and I still pulled away from him, up to the speed limit.  He turned off at the next light.

I got back to the coach, glued and clamped my project.  Rufus and I went outside, but he wasn't interested in a walk, so we sat in the patio chairs for a while.

The highpoint of my afternoon was meeting Steph and Dan for an early supper - after the long week, they got off around 3:30 and are officially on spring break!  It was good to see them - I haven't been around anyone for a week, and I have missed these two.

After supper, we went back to their house, where we watched their 3 cats interacting.  New kid Tango is really taken with his (much) bigger brother, Alfie.  The young one has a lot of spunk, but Alfie is patient with him.  To a point.  It was especially cute watching them eat out of the same bowl.

We made plans for taking in a ball game on Sunday.  There will be something together later in the week, because someone has a birthday.  I'm not mentioning her name... or age.  But, I can't believe I have a kid that old!  ;-)

Back to livin' life!


No comments: