Tuesday, March 24, 2020

No Joy...


From my pilot days, it was a term used to say: we do not have the traffic in sight.  Air Traffic Control would give you a notice of potential conflicting traffic - "I have a visual" if you see it, "No joy," if you don't.

Joan went to the store early this morning.  By early, I mean she left the motohome just before 6:00.  With no coffee.  Also, no joy.  Both Fry's and Walmart are open between 6:00 and 7:00am for senior citizens.  We qualify.

There were lines at both places, but that was for the "younger" people to get in at 7:00.  She went in to Fry's, got a few things she needed, then on to Walmart.  Same thing with the line situation.  She got the rest of what she needed.  At Fry's, if you needed paper products, they were handing it out, metering how much you can have.  But, they did have everything, including toilet paper.

At Walmart, when she went to self check out, it was just past 7:00 - she said the amount of people flocking in was like Black Friday.

Other observations: people were cordial, but keeping their distance.  No one acting like they were panic buying, but there was also no joy on any faces.  She did get a chuckle out of the employees at Fry's: "With only senior citizens at this time, employees were acting like we were all feeble, but they were very cordial and welcoming."  Fry's only had one door open at that time, essentially routing you to the paper products or pharmacy area.  If you didn't need that, you could go anywhere around the store.  The paper products at Fry's were all the Kroger brand - not a time to be picky.

I offered to ride shotgun on this early morning outing, but she was out and about quickly.

------------------

The shelter in place order that takes effect in our home county tomorrow is pretty comprehensive.  We downloaded the 7 page document to make sure we can return to our home.  The pertinent part...




4 comments:

Dave Gibson said...

New York State allows essential businesses to remain open... grocery stores, gas stations, pharmacies, medical offices, etc. Makes sense.

Fun fact- our Italian Governor Cuomo shut down all bars the day before St. Paddy's Day. However, he has now ruled that liquor stores, where wine is sold, are essential businesses.

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Man does not live by bread - or toilet paper - alone.

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Oh, and good to hear from you, Dave.

Dave Gibson said...

I'm hanging in there, Jim. Lots of life changes. My blog writing turned into book writing. I'm now on book #8.

I've been posting my blog humor (for lack of a better term for goofing on people) and I'm considering starting a 4th blog (number 3 isn't public, and I'll tell you about it someday) and I think I'll call it something like "Ruminatin' from the Senior Home".

I really enjoyed writing my blogs. It was the first time in my life that I could let my creativity run wild. I'm glad to see that you're still hammering away at yours, so you get it.