Sunday, August 2, 2020

12 Commandments...


For Aging...

#1 - Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice and no one else will listen.
#2 - "In Style" are the clothes that still fit.
#3 - You don't need anger management. You need people to stop pissing you off.
#4 - Your people skills are just fine.  It's your tolerance for idiots that needs work.
#5 - The biggest lie you tell yourself is: "I don't need to write that down. ...I'll remember it."
#6 - "On time" is when you get there.
#7 - Even duct tape can't fix stupid - but it sure does muffle the sound.
#8 - It would be wonderful if we could put ourselves in the dryer for ten minutes, then come out wrinkle-free and three sizes smaller?
#9 - Lately, You've noticed people your age are so much older than you.
#10 - Growing old should have taken longer.
#11 - Aging has slowed you down, but it hasn't shut you up.
#12 - You still haven't learned to act your age, and hope you never will.

And one more: "One for the road" means peeing before you leave the house. 
"Borrowed" from the NuWa Owners Forum.

---------

I asked my friend at his retirement party if I might say a word...
"Yes", he replied.
I stood up and said "Plethora.”
He replied, “thanks, that means a lot.” 
---------

While Joan was grocery shopping today, I set up my recording stuff and did some work on another vocal track...


That is the Yamaha mixer (on the right) and the Spire Studio (the round thing left of center) and microphone.  Pretty compact, considering the capability (and used with an iPad Pro).

In between getting that done and files uploaded, I watched the splash-down of the Space-X Dragon capsule.  It is great to see the United States back in the manned space flight business again.  A perfect mission and return.  I sent Steph a text just before touch-down; since she is teaching science as well as math, I thought it would be something topical for her to discuss with her students (on-line).  Kids in her class have never seen a US launch and return in their lifetime (well, they were infants).

A good solo scooter outing this afternoon.  One of the highlights was when I turned from Playhouse Road onto Iron Mountain Road: a guy on a Harley went by and I pulled out after him.  When he saw me in his rear view mirror, he got on it... so did I.  Now, for full disclosure, his Harley has way more horsepower and torque than my Vespa; but on a twisty road like this, where there isn't much in the straight-aways, there is a limit to how fast anyone can go.  I don't have to work hard on the Vespa to keep up with a bike like that.  I stayed right with him until we got to a scenic pullout - I pulled in on one entrance, he pulled in on the next.  He stopped just in front of me and said, "I had to see what you were riding - I couldn't believe that was keeping up with me pulling uphill."  He is riding a new Road Glide Special, and it was gorgeous.  We visited for a while.  Nice guy, from Wisconsin... so he was really enjoying the roads here (he said he lived north of Green Bay, where it is pretty flat).  He took a photo of my "Vesparado" emblem on the front of my scoot.


I got to have a great visit with Steph on the phone today, while I was out walking Rufus.  It is a whole different teaching situation for her, with all on-line currently.  It was interesting for me to hear what her daily schedule will be.  A whole different situation for the students, too.  For now.

And speaking of "space things," it is a full moon tomorrow mid-day, which means the moon will appear full tonight and tomorrow night.  Here's a look at the August Full Sturgeon Moon...


Just a bit of smoke in the atmosphere, creating that color cast.  I could correct it out, but I like the way it looks.

August’s full Moon was traditionally called the Sturgeon Moon because the giant sturgeon of the Great Lakes and Lake Champlain were most readily caught during this part of summer.
Other names for this Full Moon include ”Full Green Corn Moon,” signaling that the corn was nearly ready for harvest, “Wheat Cut Moon,” “Moon When All Things Ripen,” and ”Blueberry Moon.”  (from the Old Farmer's Almanac)

No comments: