Thursday, August 20, 2020

Dangerous...


Me?  No, I'm a teddy bear.  Rufus?  Absolutely not, unless you piss him off... but, he's a pretty mellow fellow most of the time.  And I'm sure not talking about Joan, because that would be dangerous.

I'm talking about those motorscooters.  Well, more specifically, Joan's Xmax.  It is another hot one in the Black Hills today, pushing into the upper 80s by 10:30, with a high predicted well into the 90s.  Joan doesn't like to ride when it is that hot, so I was off on a solo scooter outing this morning.  She said I could take her Xmax.

Yep, that is dangerous.  Oh, there is nothing inherently dangerous about that scoot.  Well, no more than any two-wheel motorized conveyance.  Yes, the Xmax is faster than my Vespa.  Better brakes, with ABS.  Traction control at the rear wheel.  You can push it harder through the curves.  It just feels more solid (probably due to weighing more and having a longer wheelbase).

Midway through my ride, I could picture myself riding one of these all the time.  Instead of my lovely Italian scoot.  That's the dangerous part.  Up until today, I figured I'd grow old with my Vespa.  OK, yeah, I'm already old... but, even older.

I need to ride that Vespa again.  I have a clamp for my camera that is supposed to arrive this afternoon.  If it isn't too hot, I may need to give that a try this afternoon.

---------

The RAM Mount clamp is about .002 bigger than I anticipated.  A rubber shim takes up that space, and a snug fit on the rear rack on the Vespa.  Out for a short ride for proof of concept...


ATGATT?  (All The Gear All The Time)  Our daughter would chide me for riding in shorts and no gloves.  Yeah, kid: do what I say, not what I do.  ;-)  It was hot and the sky was graying up to the southwest.  I was geared up on my ride this morning, but chose to get out now, rather than take the chance that the sky would open up on me.

The goal was to get it to look like I was being followed by a drone, up close.  I may need to get something stiffer than a selfie stick so it doesn't look like the Vespa is doing the rumba down the road.  ;-)


No comments: