Friday, August 7, 2020

Not once, but twice...


Joan was planning a grocery shopping excursion.  She likes to go on her own so she can take her time.  Which is just fine with me, as I feel I am along to drive the cart and say, "That sounds good."  Plus, she doesn't have to hear me yell "Bingo!" when I see a guy with a mullet, cropped shirt, and short shorts (for those who enjoy playing "People of Walmart Bingo").

Instead, I decided to go for a solo scooter ride.  I asked Joan if I could take her Xmax... "Of course, and you don't have to ask."

It was a hot one in the ol' town - already in the upper 80s by the time I got the Yamaha out and ready to roll at 11:30.  I wasn't planning a long excursion - just looking to get a little riding time in.

What I notice immediately when firing up the Xmax: the riding position is sportier; it is bigger than the Vespa and feels it.  Yes, I've ridden her scoot a time or twelve, but after spending time on the Vespa, you notice the differences right away.

I headed out, planning to do a short loop around the twisties.  Very light traffic on the first two roads.  By the time I got to South Rockerville Road I was pretty settled in on the Xmax.  Halfway down that road, two motorcycles came up behind me.  Fast.  I wasn't riding hard, but I wasn't slacking, either.  I twisted the throttle, feeling like it would put some distance between me and the two bikes in my mirror.  I was a bit surprised when one of them went around me in a flash... a full-dress Harley, and that rider was handling the bike like a pro.  Really, he flicked that bike through corners like it was a sport bike.  I slowed down a bit to let the other one pass.  That guy was on an FXR-type bike, and not as competent as the first guy.

Well, that was a first this summer season here, being passed by a couple Harleys on this twisty road.  Before the end of South Rockerville, I was having so much fun that I decided to add some more twisties in before heading back.  So did the two guys on the Harleys.  On to Playhouse Road... now I think I am a pretty decent rider.  I tend to push my Vespa a bit harder than I do on Joan's Xmax... because I am more familiar with the Vespa.  AND, I don't want to slide out in a corner on Joan's bike and have to explain that.  ;-)

The first guy on the Harley was absolutely eating up those curves.  It was a thing of beauty to watch - he made it look effortless.  I thought his companion was going to lose it in a couple curves; I backed off.  Eventually, they were far enough ahead of me that I couldn't see them on the next curve.  I was just enjoying the ride.

When I got to Iron Mountain Road, I had caught up to them.  They had left turn signals on, then the first guy decided to turn right.  The second guy stalled his bike and had to put a foot down quickly.  Fired it up and was right behind the first guy.  There was no traffic in front of them, so I put the hammer down on the Xmax.  Yes, I passed them.  After they pulled off the road on a turn-out.  ;-)

No, it isn't "a race."  That said, if there are two sailboats going the same general direction, it is a race.  Pretty much the same thing on this twisty road.  I had clear road ahead and took advantage of it, flicking the Yamaha into the curves.

It wasn't long, though, before I caught up to another group of 8 or 10 bikes that were "trapped" behind a slow-moving pickup.  Nothing to do but sit back and enjoy the slow(ish) ride.  I had already decided I was going to pull into the scenic turn-out ahead to get a drink of water.  The pickup went straight, but the Harleys pulled into the parking lot.  They took the available spots with a bit of shade, so I pulled in at the first available parking spot.

Time for a drink and a couple photos...



It wasn't intentional, but when I was putting my phone back in the holder on the bike, it took a screen shot - yeah, good twisty roads ahead...


I had no traffic in front of me most of the rest of the way on Iron Mountain Road - I was surprised.  I passed a few groups that had pulled over at the tunnels, but no one ahead of me.  Both splits with no one ahead driving slow.  No one moving at 5mph around the pig tail bridges.  It was a delight.  There is a guy set up taking photos on one of the curves - big business selling those photos on-line during the Rally.

Things were busy in Keystone as I drove through.  I stopped at a crosswalk to let a guy on the curb cross.  As he got close, he pointed at the Xmax and said, "I have one of those, too!  That is a great scooter!"  I'm guessing by his outfit that he is on a Harley right now.  ;-)  Still, a moment shared by two strangers.  In a sea of Harleys.

From there, I took Hwy 16 heading towards Rapid City.  The windshield on the Xmas is too low for my tastes, directing a lot of wind noise right at my helmet.  Joan likes the windshield lower, and it is her bike.  Too bad it isn't electrically adjustable like what I had on a previous BMW.  That is the only complaint I have with this scoot, but, again, it isn't mine.

I stopped for fuel on the way back.  103.4 miles per gallon.  I continue to marvel at the performance and efficiency of this Xmax.

By the time I got back to the motorhome, Joan was already home and this was moving over us...


I was glad to be back before this decided to rain down.  The rain gear that is in the Xmax is Joan's, and I don't think it will fit me.  ;-)

-------------

That ugly cloud gave us a couple rumbles of thunder, but no rain or storm.  Well, until around 6:00, when the next couple cells moved in...


The first one started with heavy rain.  The big drops... just the way the last couple hail storms started.  We dropped the sunscreen, rolled up the patio awning, and pulled in the slide-outs.  Turns out, it wasn't necessary.  While the weather weasels called for 40mph winds and pea-size hail with this cell, it didn't happen.  Just the rain.  Better safe than... beat up even more.  We'll leave the slides in until the next cell (showing on radar) passes.  Whack us with hail once, shame on you; whack us with hail 8 or 9 times, shame on me.  There is still a rumble of thunder with the next cell.


No comments: