Monday, August 10, 2020

Love/hate relationship...


The three of us?  No, that's: love/love/love.  I love Joan, Joan loves Rufus, and Rufus loves Rufus.  ;-)  Yeah, I'm just funnin' again.

This is about the GoPro camera I have.  I enjoy having the memories captured, but I really hate the GoPro.  It has been a giant pain in the ass since I got it.  About the only time I use it is when we're someplace fun with the scoots.  The last update on the GoPro app made it useless when trying to control the camera with the phone app.

Why is that important?  You always know the right questions to ask.  If you have the camera mounted on your helmet (better for the stabilization), you can't see what it is shooting, or even if it is shooting.  So, I have been using the camera on a mirror mount.  It vibrates when the road surface isn't perfectly smooth... and it is rare that the road surface is perfectly smooth in western South Dakota.

Last night, I found a firmware update on the camera, after loading the app on Joan's phone (it didn't come up on my phone).  Once the camera was updated, it worked reasonably well.  Reasonably?  Yeah, like 8 out of 10 times.  Hey, that is way better than zero out of 10 times.

So, today, we were wanting to go for a ride, and Iron Mountain Road is a great place to test out the helmet mounted GoPro.  This video won't likely be entertaining for anyone but me.  I shot about 45 minutes of video today, as well as a handful of photos.  This video is a cut from two of the longer clips.  Through a couple tunnels, both of the splits (I named them today: Banana and Lickety... get it?  Splits?  Banana Split and Lickety Split?... yeah, I often entertain just myself.), and a couple of the pig tail bridges.



Anyway, the more I use the GoPro, the less I enjoy it.  This video clip took the better part of an hour to edit and another 30 minutes to upload it to YouTube.  For 4 minutes of video.  Video that I didn't put any music to.

I ordered a different camera today... it won't be in for a few days.  I'm hoping it will be less frustrating and more entertaining than this one.  We'll see.

And, because I shoot stills most of the time, here's a shot from Highway 244 today, in a line of motorcycle traffic...


3 comments:

Greg said...

Another enjoyable post on your blog
sorry about the aggravation with the camera
thanks for sharing with us
the video was great
beautiful part of the world

Captain Jim said...

Thanks, Greg - I appreciate the kind words. I saw your comment after a long day of detail work on the computer... good timing! :-)

Captain Jim said...

Well, lookie there - I am unknown on my own blog! Blogspot is making some changes, so the format may look different in the weeks to come... but, so far (well, up 'till now) it knew me when I signed in. Way to make a guy feel special. LOL