Thursday, August 27, 2020

Keep movin', movin', movin'...


Though they're disapprovin'... if you said, "The theme to the TV show Rawhide," you get 25 bonus points.

Another big move today - almost two blocks.  This will likely be our last move here at Hart Ranch, as it will be time to head for home in the next three weeks or so.  Weather and virus dependent, of course.  The word we're getting from back home is that people still haven't figured out how to socially distance.  The numbers continue to rise, mostly coming from indoor gatherings where no safety precautions are taken.  I am not keen on going back into that situation.

Back to the move: the weasels were forecasting a chance of thunderstorms overnight, between 2:00 and 4:00.  Close; about 4:15 the light pitter-patter of friendly rainfall on the roof turned into the entire Broadway cast of Stomp! pounding on the coach.  I had to get up to turn on the patio light to see if it was hail... it wasn't; just the rain pounding hard.  I turned on the TV to see what local weather warnings might be in effect: thunderstorms, wind, chance of hail.  Looking at radar, it looked like the hail would pass just north and south of us.

I knew it would be a somewhat soggy move.  After Joan got up, we formulated our plan and started the move.  It took just over an hour to get everything on the new site, and another half hour to get set up again.  I think we will like this site - it is on the perimeter once again, so Rufus will have acres of grass to wander through, and no neighbors behind us.  A bit of shade from trees.

After breakfast, I took Rufus for a walk so he could check out the new site... he found a lush patch of grass just off our patio, so he is a happy boy.

We got some sunshine and wind late morning and into the early afternoon.  More thunderstorms forecast for the afternoon and evening, so we won't be going out and about.  But, tomorrow is supposed to be breezy, cooler, and 0% chance of precip.  Joan said she is ready for a ride; I have done several solo rides to play with the 360 camera, where she took that time off.  But, I'm always ready for a ride.  ;-)

-----------

After getting settled in, I took the Mavic Mini out for the first real test flight.  This site is out on the perimeter, so I can walk out away from everyone to learn the flight characteristics of this small drone.  A few photos...




And a short video...


This flight was very tentative - it has been over a year since I used my bigger drone; the flying skills are beyond rusty.  Anything I make after this will be more than just "pans back and forth"... really.  The instructions say you should try your first flight on a nice no-wind day, but it was blowing 12mph and higher today.  I did get one "high wind warning" while practicing (20mph gust).  I flew for about an hour, ran through two batteries, just getting a feel for how this reacts to the controls.  Even flying slow, I found myself just a wee bit "behind" the movements.  But, I didn't crash it - I'm calling that a successful outing.  ;-)


2 comments:

Bob said...

A T*******ist spotted in popular local RV park. May be wearing fake beard as a disguise and also a hat to hide hair condition. Red shirt at last sighting. Note total disregard for: (fill in the blansk). Well it is small and the old unit is crying it's heart out right now, tossed aside for a younger slimmer competitor with the right moves, oh the fickle heart of a man!!!!
Bob (FB**** - as in Forgetful Boy on D****** no "I" there).

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Bob - I saw that guy you are talking about! I think you have it all wrong: he is possibly the sweetest guy you are likely to ever meet... while still having a ruggedly handsome appearance. The facial hair appears real, giving him that "silver fox" look. He was wearing the hat (it said "Padre Soul" on it) to keep the sun out of his eyes so he could be especially conscientious with his careful maneuvering of that delightful flying machine. I could tell he was having fun.

That said, who among us has not looked for something new and better for our modern machines (Obviously not talking about spousal choices)? The old drone has seen little use lately because it is simply too big to find room for in the motorhome, not to mention the noise it makes. It is still a very capable flying camera platform, but I may have to find a new home for it when we get back. I go through cameras the way some people go through socks... this new "flying camera" offers another perspective (and it is quiet), just as the 360 camera has pushed my idea of what can be done with stills and video. Learning new skills is good for the mental acuity. I hear it keeps people from letting their imagination get away from them. ;-)