Wednesday, August 5, 2020

A preview...


Of the project Mark and I are working on?  No, that looks like it is going to take a while.  It was a beautiful day in the neighborhood, so I took off on a solo scooter outing today.  Heading to Sturgis.

Well, to be honest, Sturgis was secondary - I wanted to ride Vanocker Canyon.  With Nemo Road still closed in one spot, I took some back roads and the Interstate to get there.  I didn't bring a camera along... I'm regretting that because my ride up Vanocker Canyon was blissfully uncrowded.  Probably the best riding I've experienced in the canyon in the three summers we've been coming here.  With no traffic, I could drive any speed I wanted.  That is, if I were inclined to push it a bit over the legal speed limits.

I was originally thinking I would go north on Nemo Road and then take Highway 385 back... but Vanocker was so good, I did a U-turn at Nemo Road and ran it back down to Sturgis.  Just before getting to where the canyon opens up to the flats before town, I came up on a group of other riders... but no issue for slowing down.  The only downside of this canyon ride: in the Pennington County portion of that road, the county had done the same tar snakes repairs that they did on Spring Creek Road (right outside Hart Ranch).  I don't know what they use to make those "snakes," but it is slick.  You just have to pick your way beween them as much as possible.

I stopped for gas at the station just north of town.  There is an Arby's there, and I was feeling like a Brisket Sandwich.  Only two cars at the drive-up, so I clipped the cupholder on the Vespa and went through, getting a sandwich and a soda.  I pulled into the parking lot and dined in the glorious sunshine...


With my BBQ craving satiated, I decided to take a ride through Sturgis.  While there is plenty of traffic, it doesn't seem near as busy as the last two years on a pre-rally Main Street cruise.  I wasn't planning to stop, but parking spots that were scooter-sized were easy to find...



I rode up Main Street, took a turn at the Loud American Roadhouse (I miss getting steak-bites there), and went down to Lazelle.  Seems like plenty of vendors are here and open or in the process of opening.  People walking about, but I wouldn't call it "busy."  No way to take photos with my phone while riding.  Back up Junction and a quick stop for a couple more photos...



"Harleys and mopeds" - an interesting combination.  A quick stop at the Sturgis sign...


And then back onto the Interstate.  I decided to right through the Harley dealer's lot in Rapid City - it is its own "rally', with the massive lot filled with vendors.  It didn't seem like there were a lot of people here, yet...




No, I didn't want to go mix it up with the crowd there, either; so just a couple photos and I was on my way.  The huge tent that they have set up with rows of picnic tables (lots of food vendors there) was about half full, and it didn't look like anyone was "socially distancing."

We've seen what happens when safe practices aren't followed with the big crowds on the beach at home... and then people wonder why the virus cases took an abrupt rise.

I plan to continue keeping my distance.  I enjoy the "people watching" during the Rally, but not enough to put myself in the middle of the crowds.

But, what a great ride today!


No comments: