Thursday, August 6, 2020

Vesparado...


No, that is not a song by the Eagles.

Earlier this year when we were in Arizona, Steph made a couple of Vespa-themed t-shirts for me.  This one is my favorite...


We went into Rapid City today to do some shopping.  First time I've been in a retail store (other than Walmart) in months.  I was looking for a couple heat-gear shirts, and we like the selection we've found at Scheels (a sporting goods chain that has 28 stores in 13 states) in the past.  They didn't let us down this time.

I took some shirts and shorts to a dressing room.  The nice lady there (Kim) cleaned and disinfected the dressing room before I went in.  When I was done, she said, "Let me check the prices on these," and used her hand-held scanner to verify, complimenting my good taste and reinforcing what a good value each one was.  Smart.  As I was about to walk away with my acquisitions, she said, "I love that shirt you're wearing - I have friends who ride Moto Guzzis - where did you get that shirt?"

I explained to her that our daughter made it.  And that it was a one-of-a-kind because of the labor involved.  She said, "Tell your daughter that she is very talented - have fun on your Vespa!"

It only took a few seconds for that conversation, but what a refreshing change from what I've come to expect with shopping these days.  We were both wearing masks and socially distancing.  No mention was made about any of that - for this lady, it was business as usual, with an obvious smile under that mask.

Just like the Harley rider I was talking to a couple days ago while stopping for a break on Iron Mountain Road.  I took a photo of the "Vesparado" magnet (also made by Steph) on the front of my scoot.  It only takes a few seconds to be kind and engaging.

Pass it on.


No comments: