Monday, August 24, 2020

Vanocker Canyon...


I haven't been through Vanocker Canyon since before the Rally - time to do something about that this morning.

A cool start to the day, in the mid-60s.  After a bicycle ride and a fresh cinnamon roll, I geared up to do some scooting.  Seems that I have been spending more time riding in the southern Hills - once you leave Hart Ranch heading south, you are immediately in the good riding.  Heading north to Vanocker Canyon, you have to ride a half hour of highway just to get to the good stuff.

On the road out of Rapid City, I got caught behind this dump truck hauling gravel...


I left plenty of room between us.  Out of town, you could see that there is less smoke in the air today...


Out on the Interstate...


In my opinion: not "the good riding."  But, to get to Sturgis, you have to do some Interstate; and Vanocker Canyon is right outside of Sturgis.  I did a quick pass through town to show what Main Street looks like the other 50 weeks of the year...


Into Vanocker Canyon...


I was shooting with the Insta360 One R again today, mostly using the 360 module for still photos.  Another learning curve.  Not far into the canyon, I came across two large pieces of road equipment, moving slowly...


They are chewing rumble strips into the right edge of the road.  The one pictured above was the "clean-up" equipment, but they were leaving plenty of gravel along the edge.





Interesting premise shooting 360 stills: like the video, you shoot now and decide later what view you want.




More of the Pennington County tar snakes...


After running through the Canyon, I turned around and rode it back out.  Very little traffic, and a lovely morning.  Well, until just before getting back to Sturgis: a slow moving train stopped me for about 15 minutes...


Then, back to Hart Ranch via Interstate and highway.  I gave Joan a call on the way to let her know that I was a bit behind my estimated time of arrival - and to let Rufus know that lunch would be served as soon as I got back... the boy is very aware of his meal schedule.  ;-)

And, a very short video of the ride through Vanocker Canyon...


First time in a couple weeks that it was cool enough to wear my mesh jacket while riding.  I really do prefer to wear that armored jacket, but it has just been too hot lately.  You do what you gotta do to get the riding in.


3 comments:

Bud said...

Loved the video and the music. Was that you playing?

What model of Nolan is your helmet?

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Hi Bud - I can't take credit for the music; it was "canned." My Nolan is an N70-2GT; very comfortable... well, it fits the shape of my head. I like the removable chin bar - it can be a full face or a 3/4 helmet. Less noisy than my modular helmet. You can't take the chin bar off while riding, it takes two hands. But, it only takes a second or two to remove it or put it back on. Nice venting.

Bud said...

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the response.

I have a long oval head. Would it work for me do you think?

Still waiting for the proper motor on our C-Dory. Bass Pro screwed up big time but agreed to take back the motor they sold me and replace it with the right one. Haven't been in the water since early July. September 28th is projected delivery date.

Who know when it will actually show up.

Good to read your ride reports.

Bud