Friday, August 21, 2020

Hot and Smokey...


Just the way I like my BBQ.

But, that's beside the point.  It was a hot and smokey day here in the Black Hills.  The fires in California and in the northern Big Horn Mountains have created smokey conditions here.  I decided to take my flame-adorned Vespa out, and try out the still photo capabilities of the Insta360 One R, helmet mounted.

Tar snakes...


Even with this compressed image, the jpeg files from this camera are crisp.  You can see the smokey conditions in the air...


I had a great ride on the usual twisty roads on the way to Iron Mountain Road.  I stopped to get a drink of water and set the camera for "interval" (taking photos at 3 second intervals)...


I turned Interval off, because I immediately got caught behind 3 cars having a slow-race...


When those cars turned off, I got to enjoy the clear road ahead (on one of the splits)...


I put the camera back on Interval again... and lost a great photo op: a group of about a dozen vintage Vespas went by me going the other direction...



In the 3 seconds between that solo rider and these two, I missed the bulk of the group.  There were lots of waves and thumbs-up!  A rare sighting for me!

After that, I switched the camera to video - just in case...


Alas, no more Vespa sightings.

I turned right after Iron Mountain Road for a cruise past Mt Rushmore...



I took that highway to Hill City...


It looks a bit different without all the motorcycles.

More highway riding on Hwy 16, a fuel stop (91.7mpg), and then back to Hart Ranch.  I was greeted with a delightful smell when I went into the motorhome: Joan has a pork roast in the slow cooker... and that makes for some truly fine pulled pork, so I do get my BBQ fix today.  ;-)


No comments: