Saturday, August 29, 2020

Weather dependent...


You've heard that (weather dependent) on many outdoor activities.  And goodness knows that Mother Nature has been harsh in 2020: blizzards, drought, inundating rain, hurricanes, storms, tornadoes, floods, fires, straight line winds... climate change of all kinds.

The local news/weather here in the Black Hills keeps reminding us that this summer has been much hotter than usual.  And we have first hand experience with the hail storms.

We woke up this morning to cool (as in: 53º) and calm winds.  Joan wanted to go to the store early, to avoid the weekend crowds.  One hour later, the wind was blowing a consistent 20mph, gusting higher.  Back in the motorhome, it felt much higher.  The weather forcast for today was "breezy"... tomorrow, it is supposed to be "windy", with gusts around 30.

Two things I'd like to do today: get out on the scoots and practice some flying with the new small drone.  Not gonna happen.  One other thing on my today's to-do list: get a couple music tracks recorded.  Mark sent me some tracks last night on another project.  "So, why don't you stay inside and record today, Jim?"  Thanks for asking, and I will explain: we are on the south perimeter of the resort.  This gusty wind is coming from the south.  The trees are rustling and the wind blowing past the slide-outs and the awnings above that make for a low rumble.

I wanted to give a couple tracks a try, so I set up my gear in the bedroom of the motorhome.  No issue with recording a guitar track - even with an acoustic guitar, I can go directly into the Spire Studio with the pickup on the guitar.  Or, in the case of my X10: the pickups.  With that track done, I started working on the vocal track.  The microphone was picking up some of the rumble from the wind; I set a frequency floor into the mixer, which really tones down that "below the voice" frequency.  That, and some patience to not record as the gusts built, let me get the vocals done today, as well.  Not quite the same as being in a quiet setting like my music room at home, but we like being out and about.


I took Rufus outside for a walk... he felt the wind, said, "No thanks," and turned around to go back inside.  "I think this is a good time for a nap."


I think the furry boy is onto something.  ;-)


No comments: