Thursday, May 6, 2021

Bigger is better?

 

Not always.  Music gear content today.

For the last year or so, I have been using a Yamaha 12 channel mixer.  No, I didn't actually need 12 channels, but the price was right.  And, I had it set up to use different mics and guitars for recording.  I like everything about it except: when applying any effects (like reverb, chorus, echo, etc), you have only once choice at a time for every channel.  Oh sure, you can control how much or how little of that effect per channel, but you can't have reverb on channel 1 and chorus (a guitar effect) on channel 2 at the same time.  Chorus is a nice effect on a guitar, I'm not a fan of it on vocals.

Here's the Yamaha in use...

And all the stuff unplugged, ready for a "for sale" ad...

It is an MG12XUK.  It really is a nice mixer.

I've had my eye on a Bose 4 channel mixer for years.  The Yamaha is significantly less $$, especially considering I got it on a "Stupid Deal of the Day" from Musician's Friend (they offer a hot deal on one item each day - this happened to pop up when I was in the market for another mixer last year).

Bose updated their mixer line a couple years ago, bumping up the T1 mixer that they've had for over a decade to a stereo version T4s and a new 8 channel version, the T8s.  The "T" in that stands for Tonematch®, a feature Bose developed to EQ automatically (one click) for a specific microphone or guitar.  You still have full manual control over the EQ, if you like a bit more bass, less mids, or even less highs on a specific mic or instrument.  Then, you can save that tweak, to call it up later.

Bose controls the price that dealers can sell their gear, so unless it is a "Bose authorized sale," everyone sells the Bose item at the same price.  I have a Bose L1c PA, and a Bose S1 Pro (an even smaller PA).  Put one of the Bose mixers with either of those PAs, and you get even better sound, with more control.  While looking around, I came upon a guy selling a "used, mint condition" T4s.  I made him an offer on it, and he accepted; shipped on Monday, received this afternoon...


Yes, it is significantly smaller than the Yamaha, and only 4 channels instead of 12 (or more specifically: 5 channels instead of 10).  Four (or five) channels is enough for me, and the Bose is far more feature rich.  I've only had a few minutes to test it out, but I am impressed.  It was about 1/3 less than new, and came with the power cable, a $50 add-on.  And, truly in mint condition.

I have two other small add-ons I ordered, and then I will, once again, set up my music room differently.  I'm looking forward to these new changes.

And, when Joan or I get something shipped in, Rufus gets something, too...


"This box is smaller than the last one, but I still fit in it.  I may make this one my 'travel box'."  ;-)

--------

What about the boat?  You just put it in the water yesterday, right?  Yes, thanks for asking.  We headed out fairly early this morning with the Honda, taking the boat trailer back to our storage unit.  Then, a trip into Harlingen for some shopping and lunch.  Looking around for a couple new house batteries for the motorhome.  I'm thinking of going with AGM maintenance-free batteries; a bit pricier than regular lead acid batteries.  And, the group 31 size is a heavy beast; but a couple of those are what the motorhome needs.

Shortly after we got home, I saw that the box with the Bose T4s in it had been delivered to our mailbox... no time to work in a boat outing.


No comments: