Tuesday, May 18, 2021

Free ballin'...

 

If you said, "Tom Petty song from 1989," you lose 100 bonus points.  That song was Free Fallin'.   According to the Urban Dictionary, free balling means: to go without underwear; going commando; in the feminine usage: free muffing, or my favorite: vajayjay alfresco.

If you are concerned that there is going to be "too much sharing" in this post, don't read on.  Really.

It has been 51/2 months since my prostate went missing.  While the after effects of that surgery vary from man to man, incontinence for some period of time is pretty typical.  That "period of time" is also highly variable.  I was pretty darn happy at about the 4th month when I was able to leave behind my "big boy pull ups," also known as Depends.

Not that anyone asked, but: boxers or briefs?  In my younger years, I was a briefs kinda guy.  By my 30s, I had moved on to boxers.  And for the last 10 years or so, boxer briefs.  They are like the Goldilocks of men's underwear... and according to a survey done by GQ, the most popular type of men's underwear.

When leaving the Depends behind, I still felt the need for a "just in case" male pad - or as I call it: a peni-pad, that goes into your underwear.  The male equivalence of the female mini-pad.  A peni-pad does not not work well in anything other than briefs.  So, I got briefs.  Did not throw away my far-more-comfortable boxer briefs... but, they have languished in my socks and underwear drawer for the last month and a half, when I made room for the briefs.

This morning, after showering, I pulled out a pair of my old friends.  I don't know why we call it "a pair," 'cause it is just one.  Yes, talking about the boxer briefs.  I considered it for a bit, then decided to go for it.  No, I was not in the true sense "free ballin'," but the fit with boxer briefs is far more... um, relaxed... than with briefs.  For the first time since I had the catheter removed, "the boys" don't feel like they are wrapped up in a towel.  Does that matter?  Well, I don't claim to speak for anyone but myself, but... "Yeah."

Would I wear these when riding my bicycle?  No, but thanks for asking.  But for right now, this feels pretty good.  And, not just in a "relaxed" sorta way - it's another step forward.  Next month I have another check-up.  At the 2 month point, the report was good to hear: "No sign of any cancer spread - go have a good life."  Just what I expect to hear at this next check-up, 'cause I have plans for the rest of the summer.

As far as the underwear situation: no photos.  You're welcome.  ;-)


2 comments:

Bob said...

Jim - I have a friend starting this walk. Trying to think of how to introduce him to your blog on this topic. As I have said before, you have been very kind to share with other men (and their wives) about your "adventure". Looking forward to the posts on the road. Bob Jarrard

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Hi Bob - Information is important when dealing with prostate cancer. Seems that many people think it is something that "all men will go through, if they live long enough"... not the case, and some are affected more than others by the symptoms, treatment, and after-effects. I recently spent an hour on the phone with a gentleman from a scooter forum who was facing the "which treatment?" decisions. I'm in no position to give medical advice, but I can relate my thought process on dealing with it. There are some posts here that go into the experience, but this blog is about my take on day-to-day life. Tell your friend to reach out here if he wants, and we can talk. Best wishes.