Tuesday, November 22, 2022

Back in the studio...

 

Recording, not photography.  It has been a while since I've done any music recording.  The last music video Mark and I did was recorded (the music part) months ago; it took a while to develop the plan for a video.  This is another song Mark wrote.  He sent a basic track to me a few weeks ago so we could work on the premise.  He got the tracks with guitar(s), bass, and drums sent to me yesterday, with some guidance for how he sees the lead vocal for me, and the request for another electric guitar track to fit with the tracks already laid down.

I listened to the song a dozen times or so, to get a feel for phrasing and melody, then practiced a vocal a couple times... then laid down a lead vocal track.  Then another.  Then a harmony vocal track on the chorus.  I was on a roll: then two more completely different vocal tracks with another harmony vocal on parts of the verses.  I planned on being done with the project for the day by 7:00 pm... I was still going at 9:00.  It is good to record when the vibe is there.  Then, I worked on a guitar track with some funky chording that still fits.  I am enjoying the process again.

I'll have time to work on it some more today - Mother Nature still isn't done with us for crap weather, and more importantly: Mark goes in for back surgery today.  We joked about getting old parts removed and new metal parts going in.  I will no longer be the only bionic man in this duo.  When you start playing rock and roll as a kid, you don't anticipate taking time off from it for geezer surgery.

And the beat goes on.

--------

The update: Cindy texted me to let me know that Mark is out of surgery and the doctor is pleased with the results.  It took a bit longer than expected for the surgery.  I have been waiting for that good news.  Mark is strong and fit - he should bounce back fast.

--------

Another update: Joan has been cooking up a storm.  She made a sausage biscuit thing for breakfast that was tasty.  Then she made a batch of apple cinnamon muffins, made with "healthy stuff"... if she wouldn't tell me "that it's almond flour" or whatever healthy alternative she uses, I would probably just eat it.  But when she tells me "It is healthy," that is code for: shut up and eat it, and don't complain.  She used apple sauce to keep it moist.  So, it tastes more like moist sawdust than just plain ol' sawdust.

We trade off: she say's, "Here - try this," while experimenting with healthy ingredients.  I say, "Here - listen to this," when I am trying different things with recording music tracks.

We are coming up on a big anniversary soon... I don't think this is what people mean when they say, "Try new things to keep the relationship fresh."


2 comments:

Earl49 said...

Best wishes to Mark. Back surgery is no picnic, but when you NEED it....

I've been managing diabetes for eleven years now -- the main reason that I got out of flying. It was becoming marginal to renew my medical, so I quit and sold the Cardinal before failing outright. I have no interest in Light-Sport flying and it is hard to find one that will carry me anyway. If they had defined the maximum gross to include a Cessna 150/152 then I would have kept flying one as LSA. But it is 200 pounds over the definition for max gross. If you ever have any questions about sugar or meds just email and let me know.

Editorial sidebar: there is so much money in diabetes treatment and meds that they keep defining the threshold downward almost every year. A few years ago the A1C threshold was 7.0, and now it is 5.5. Soon the number will be set low enough to include virtually the whole population as "diabetic" or "pre-diabetic".

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Thanks, Earl. I'll let Mark know you send your best. I think I'm doing OK - I go for another follow up in a couple weeks; in the meantime, I'm logging my numbers and they are down a significant bit. Still higher than "normal," but no one has accused me of being normal. While my blood sugar number is dropping, the cellulose number is up, probably due to my intake of sawdust. Yeah, kidding... it only tastes like sawdust.