Wednesday, November 2, 2022

Framed...

 

Accused of a crime we didn't commit?  No.  Hung a new photo on the wall?  No.  In anticipation of the Select Comfort smart bed we ordered, we bought an adjustable bed frame.  It arrived yesterday, FedEx.

The info on it said it weighs 135 pounds.  I think they missed that by a couple hundred pounds.  I knew it was going to be a beast when I went out to the FedEx truck and the young, fit driver was struggling to get it out of the truck.  He brought it on a two-wheel cart to the steps at our front door; stopped and looked at the 5 steps.  Joan said, "We can get it from here."  He looked relieved.  I didn't.

The box was about 4'x5' about 6" wide.  Too cumbersome to get a decent grip.  We decided to remove the exterior cardboard to see if we could get a better grip.  Nope.  We have a set of those "As Seen On TV" lifting straps that we haven't used since we got them to move the heavy fiberglass truck bed cover about 10 years ago.  Joan got them out, we slipped them under it, and... it was moveable with two somewhat elderly people and a bit of grunting.

There was a lot of moving and maneuvering to get the current Select Comfort mattress disconnected and moved and the new adjustable frame hefted onto our bed platform.  The "owners manual" that came with it didn't give much in the way of set-up, beyond "Requires No Tools!"  I was concerned about wiring that was tie-wrapped tightly to some of the frame and power rams (that raise/lower the bed)... do I leave them or clip them?  There was a box with the remote and some other stuff that was tie-wrapped, so I knew I had to unclip that.  We looked on the internet and couldn't find any step-by-step set-up videos.  I called the company.  A young guy answered and said, "You don't have to cut the tie-wraps."  OK.

With the power plugged in, we grunted some more and got the frame in place.  Then, tested the movement before getting the mattress on and pumped back up.  The whole thing took a couple hours.  Lying down seemed like an appropriate reward after that heavy lifting... up and down with the head and feet part of the bed.  A "TV watching" setting.  A "Zero Gravity" setting (I could still feel my weight).  A "snore" setting.  Three customizable user settings.  The wireless remote was paired with it from the factory.  Easy.

Except for getting into the bed.  The bed is already high off the floor, with a built-in platform with drawers below, and a thick mattress.  Add what they call "a 3-inch" adjustable frame between the platform and the mattress and it is a bit of a reach for this short-legged guy.  It's a good thing I have been "working out" by throwing my leg over a motorcycle.  My second option was to toss a grappling hook across the bed and pull myself up.

Early review: seems like it is going to be good.  I'll get back to you when I am done running it up and down.  ;-)  We both slept good last night, but that might have been because we were exhausted from all the heavy lifting.

Ours doesn't have the legs so it sits flat on the bed platform.

No comments: