Tuesday, November 15, 2022

Say, "Bye-bye"...

 

No, we aren't going anywhere.  That was from one of our local weather weasels, speaking about the sunshine.  Another norther blew in overnight; no rain, but lower temperature thanks to the cold north wind.

I didn't go for a bicycle or motorcycle ride this morning.  I did put a jacket on over my hoodie, and went for a walk.  The wind was gusting between 25 and 30.  I didn't take Rufus for a walk, either, since the furry boy doesn't like wind... especially if it is blowing up his hind end.

And no sunshine.  None expected for the next week.  Rain.  Highs in the 60s (it would typically be in the upper 70s to low 80s this time of year.  Well, until a norther blows in.  And then another one behind that before this one gets a chance to move out...



So, bye-bye sunshine.

Rufus was getting a bit of cabin fever by early afternoon.  I did take him out for a short walk.  We came around the side of the house where you could feel that north wind.. "That's enough, Pops - time to go back inside."  I felt the same.

--------

It's contagious.  Covid?  Well, yeah, but... damn, not what I was talking about.  Rufus isn't the only one with cabin fever.  I did get out to pick up a pizza from our favorite Italian place.  In the car.  It was blowing hard enough that traffic was slowed down over the causeway.

The Noon News weasel predicted that the wind "might fall below 20mph at the coast for a time this afternoon.  The temp was still 60º, but I had a reason to get out... besides the fact I could hear my motorcycle calling my name.  "A reason?" you ask.  Yeah, when I picked up the pizza, the bill was just under $25.  I gave the guy 2 $20s... I told him: "Give me back a ten, you keep the rest."  He had to leave the till to get change, came back and handed me two bills with a $5 on top.  I assumed it was 2 fives.  When I got home, I realized it was a five on top and a ten underneath it.  He didn't get his tip.

I felt bad, and rode my bike back across the causeway to give him the $5 and thank him again for the great pizza.  With the weather, it had been a slow day, he thanked me and said, "Next time you come back in, ask for me and I'll be sure you get really good service."

"We always get good service here.  Thanks again."  And back out on my bike.  There was even 20 seconds of a sun break (Pacific Northwest reference) on my way back across the causeway.

And, I could breathe better after twisting the throttle on the bike.  It may be a while before I get this again, if the weasels are right about the forecast.


2 comments:

PNW GUY said...

A 20 second sunbreak a PNW thing - indeed it is, except right now. Amazingly, no rain for the past 10 days, and none in the forecast until late Sunday. Crystal clear and cold though, but not cold enough to keep me off of the 750X DCT. I have the gear to ride as long as it is at least 40 degrees. Loved the Burgman but not missing it a bit - like you said, the Honda DCT is a marvel of technology and so fun to ride. Speaking of upcoming scenic rides, my wife and I will be moving 2 hours west to Sequim, Wa. in February. Found a wonderful home about 1 mile from the Dungeness Spit and salt waters of the Strait of Juan De Fuca. Back yard looks west and you can see the San Juans and Canada off in the distance. Much drier climate there - 15 inches of annual rain vs 50+ here. Great riding highways around Olympic National Park and vicinity. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving! Greg

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Hi Greg. Congrats on your upcoming new place. There is a reason our mutual friend Roger always called it "Sunny Sequim." Lots of fun riding and an easy ferry ride if you want to get to Victoria or east to other good riding (without taking "the long way around."

Good to hear that you are enjoying the NC750X. Great bike!

It seems that we have switched climates currently - you are sunny and dry, and the Tropical Tip is in the middle of a week of drizzly, cool weather. ;-)