Wednesday, November 2, 2022

Like a kid with a new toy...

 

Not me.

I have been trying to get a prescription filled for 10 days.  The pharmacy I use says they need an approval from the doctor.  "You mean that guy that called in the prescription?"  Seems they can't get the doctor's office to call them back.  And here's where I fall between the cracks: my doctor retired.  Well, maybe not retired, but he left this particular practice.  Probably because they are (medical term) dumbshits.  His practice was bought out by a medical corporation that is in cahoots with the hospital... yes, where they tried to kill me after the prostate surgery.  But, I digress.

I assumed someone in the doctor's office could just "give the approval" to the pharmacy.  I am so silly.  After repeated calls to the doctor's office, to get them off their collective asses, I got a call this morning and the person on the phone said, "The doctor can't do anything with a prescription until he sees you in person."

"Even though I was just there 10 days ago AND you have all my records?"

"Um, yes."

I really didn't want to drive into Harlingen, but I just want to get things rolling.  I made an appointment for 1:00.  At 12:15, I got a text from them asking me to confirm my 1:45 appointment.  No way to contact them, as that text takes you to their website where the only option is to close it or confirm... after answering a bunch of questions that I already answered.

Yes, they are wasting my time.  I got to their office at 12:45 (15 minutes prior to my 1:00 - NOT 1:45 appointment); the office was closed.  I waited at their door until they turned on the lights and unlocked the door right at 1:00.  Pissed.  The young lady at the reception desk assured me, "We'll get you right in."  Nope, I sat in the waiting room for about a half hour (only one in there) before they put me in an exam room.  Then waited another half hour or so for the doctor to come in.

HE was like a kid with a new toy: "Oh, boy - fresh insurance for me to jump into!"  (No, he didn't actually say that.)  He looked over all my test results from the exam two weeks ago and started to tell me all the tests he was going to order.  I finally stopped him.  Firmly.  "I didn't need all these tests two weeks ago, and I see no reason to do them NOW.  I live an hour away and don't plan to spend my days running to doctor appointments.  We went back and forth, and when he saw that I wasn't going to concede, we got back to getting me the prescription I came for.  He did want another urine test before I left... "Fine, give me the cup and I'll be on my way."  It took another 15 minutes to get the cup.  All in, a waste of an afternoon.

I think it is safe to say that I did not click with this doctor.  I will probably wait to see if my regular doctor "surfaces" after whatever appropriate time he needs to get another practice going.


No comments: