Thursday, July 27, 2023

Downward Dog?

 

No, we didn't get a dog.  No, this creaky old body isn't ready to try stretching.  I know there has been more talk of cameras and guitars lately and not enough Rufus content.  I hope this will make up for it.

Rufus is a lot more flexible than I am.  He should be - even in "cat years," he's a lot younger than I am.  "Oh, Jim, you're not that old," you're thinking.  Not compared to a giant redwood or dirt.

Rufus gets his exercise with regular walks on the leash.  Somedays we walk further than others.  I let him set the pace and the distance; I am mostly along as "security."

Lately, when sitting by me at the dinette, Rufus has taken to what I call "upward cat"... kind of the opposite of downward dog.  With his body on the dinette seat, he reaches up with his front paws to the table, and stretches...


 

He seems quite content to lay (sit?) like that for several minutes.

Speaking of our walks, Joan refers to Rufus as my "chick magnet"... while it's true that the ladies make a fuss over him and ask if they can pet him, he is often a hit with guys, as well.  The neighbor on the starboard side of us has a Morkie (a Maltese Yorkie) that is about 14 years old and moving pretty slow.  His owner says that Jazz (the Morkie's name) doesn't like "pretty much anybody or any animal"... but, she gets along fine with Ruf.  The couple on the port side of us have a golden-doodle (ish) dog named Murphy; Murphy is 13 months old and an absolute bundle of energy.  Rufus has had to "raise a paw" to Murphy when he gets too rambunctious, and the dog knows to back off.  Murphy's Mom (Anne) seems to really like Rufus - he gets plenty of pets and rubs whenever we see each other...


Last night, while visiting with Anne and Murphy, Anne pulled out her phone and said, "I have to show you this photo from last year..."  It was a photo of Rufus and Murphy from 11 months ago; Murphy was just 3 months old, and Rufus was significantly bigger than Murphy.  Not the case anymore.

Ruf and I get out at least twice, sometimes 4 times a day.  Some walks are just around the site or the motorhome, and others may go for blocks.  I don't schedule anything right after walking time... you never know when a woman is going to make a fuss over Rufus, and he doesn't want to cut that short.  ;-)


4 comments:

Earl49 said...

Yay Rufus! [drink] That actually looks like a comfortable stretch to me, not too different from something during my (long gone) martial arts days.

I'm on my own again, having taken Alice to the airport this morning. First she goes to MSP for the niece's wedding this weekend. Then directly to PHX for the National Flute Association convention. No adult supervision here, but not much energy to get into any trouble either. Both cats will soon realize that I am outnumbered and become very needy and demanding. There is no need for welfare checks though. You have your hands full with Rufus and the Virtuo. And the riding.

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Hi Earl - watch for the next video: Kung Fu Cat! Yes, I am kidding. Rufus is not into martial arts... he is more about "slasher" movies, if you get on the wrong side of that raised paw. ;-)

Alice gets around! Obviously, she trusts you to keep the homefires burning. I do have my hands full - petting the furry boy is nearly a full-time job. Kidding, of course - more like 30 hours a week with good benefits. Alice is going to feel bad if she comes home and finds that the cats have eaten you... keep them well-fed and sleep with one eye open. LOL

Earl49 said...

This is "Day One" without Mommy and Duke is has figured it out. Running through the house crying loudly nd piteously, even after a big breakfast. I was just on the phone and the other person asked if I had a baby that needed attending. "Yes, but he has four paws".

Having plenty of food is always my first line of defense. He stress eats and she comes home to a pudgy cat. Lucy can go outside and if she gets extra hungry we have a huge yard with lots of mousies. To a degree Lucy is self-sustaining. But she did cuddle and cling to me this morning and interfere with getting up and at 'em for the day. Alice has one more trip after this one in late August, then her *Summer of Flute Travel* will be over.

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

A "crying" feline can be as hard on the nerves as a crying baby. They know how to work you - give in once, and you have established how it is to be expected in the future. Ruf and I come in from a walk, and he goes to sit by his food dish... "You probably want to give me a treat, huh?"

Being "detained" by a snuggly cat in the morning is a perfectly valid reason for not getting up and at 'em. :-)