Thursday, July 27, 2023

Listen to that sound!

 

The new Virtuo?  Yeah, it sounds great.  Plays great.  Is quite the looker.  But, I'm talking about a camera again this post: I tried a new mounting position for the Insta360 Go 3 this morning.  Hmmm... maybe "a new position" would have gotten more interest as the title to this post?  Yep, digressing.

Knowing it was going to be another hot one, I got out early.  Instead of putting the Go 3 on my helmet or on a stalk just outside the windshield, I mounted it on a short RAM mount on the handlebars, inside the protection of the windshield.  That means looking through the windshield.

I wasn't sure if I'd like that point of view.  Turns out, it is closer to the rider's point of view (maybe I'll get a chin mount for my helmet).  And a nice added benefit: it cuts the wind noise significantly, and you can hear the sound of the engine.  Well, to be fair, there is still some wind noise, but it doesn't obliterate any other sound, which is what happens with this camera in the other mounting positions.

I shot video, just to see the perspective and check out the sound; not really intending to do anything with the video.  Call it research.  But, I did download some snapshots of the outing, and may still do a video.  At some point.

On with the photos...









I am still learning the best usage with the Go 3.  The camera is easy to use, but position and angle make a big difference with these wide angle action cams.  A good ride!


2 comments:

Earl49 said...

I get that audio is protected behind the windshield, but having the edges in there is not as good for the viewer. Just my opinion.

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

I have ordered a chin mount for one of my helmets, which will put the view up a bit higher... but still likely to have some of those edges in there. Wait 'till you see a 3 camera set up: two 360 cameras and the Go 3... I will never get through all that editing!

Or, maybe I won't.