Tuesday, July 25, 2023

Those 3 words we like to hear...

 

"Out for Delivery."

Music to my ears.  Well, my eyes, 'cause you read it, not hear it.  I didn't get to hear or read it... this morning, around 6:00, UPS was showing the guitar in Sioux Falls, about 350 miles east of here.  I was thinking, "If not today, then maybe tomorrow."

When I got back from a motorcycle ride, the tracking showed: "in Rapid City, on vehicle for delivery."  Not those 3 special words.

Then, around 1:00, the tracking said, "Delivered, signed for by Jessica in mail room."  Never saw "Out for Delivery."  But, it's here!  We are supposed to wait until the mail room people notify us that we have something before going there.  I called the mail room, got their answering machine.  Joan said, "Just go up there."

OK.  I did and the lady there said, "I just checked it in, but having had the chance to send you an e-mail."

"Can I take it?"

"Sure.  Oh, and I have another envelope for you, too."

When I picked up the box, I could tell that it was partially open on the bottom.  I carefully carried out to the car and brought it back to our motorhome...


The bottom (top?) of the box...


Yep, that's how it looked - I hadn't opened anything, yet.  Onto the opening...


Some big bubble-wrap to remove.  I pulled the case out and set it on a patio table...


The unveiling...



That's under the sun screen and doesn't do it justice - "Step out into the light..."

The Vibrant Amber back...


It is as pretty as the photos on Emerald's website.  It wasn't in tune, so I went inside to get a tuner, then gave it a strum.  This is an electric guitar that has a slimline narrow body, so it doesn't have the big rich voice of my other Emeralds - plugged in is where this guitar will shine!  The action on it is spectacular - there is nothing I will do this, because I can't imagine it playing any better.  Emerald uses a PLEK machine to read the frets and set the action - I can't say enough about the comfort and the way it plays.  And, how beautiful it is.  I was concerned that the Vivid Amber might be a bit overpowering, but it looks good with the amber in the pau ferro veneer.  The black shading on the edges really sets it off.  The inlay in the fretboard looks very sharp.  And that pau ferro wood veneer on the front looks almost 3D.

Happy Birthday to me!

I brought out a cable and plugged it into the tiny Spark Mini amp.  That little amp doesn't do this guitar justice - we mostly use it for Joan's playlist on her phone.  Still, the amp gave me some idea of how good this guitar sounds.  I did shoot some video of the unboxing and a few bits of songs... that I will get to later.  I played the guitar for a bit over an hour... very satisfied.


2 comments:

Earl49 said...

Yay! Pau ferro, meet your older brother Lauro Preto. They will cover a lot of tonal ground.

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

I'm looking forward to those two getting to play together! Well, not so much that I'm willing to head back to the heat just yet. ;-) The X7 heard me say, "This is the most comfortable guitar ever" when speaking about the Virtuo... I think its feeling were hurt. It was the first and will always have a place with us.