Monday, July 3, 2023

You should go...

 

Maybe not.

While out on my bicycle this morning, I heard from my sailing buddy Steve; he had some questions about sailing a trimaran.  His Telstar 28 is a different manufacturer, and a different design, from what we had with our Corsair F27.  They are two very different boats, except for the fact that they are both trimarans.  I've been on a Telstar, but it was at least 20 years ago.  And about 5 years since I've been on any kind of sailboat.

It was nice to visit with Steve - we share some similar interests.  He is a good guy and it seems we are able to pick right up, even if we haven't seen each other in a couple years.  He asked if I wanted to go to the lake (about an hour south of here) and do some sailing... I didn't know what Joan had planned for the day, so Steve and I visited until I got back to the motorhome.

Joan said, "No plans besides needing some groceries."  On the day before the 4th of July.  She said, "You should go."  No argument from me.  I called Steve back and we made a plan.  You have probable heard, "Mother Nature laughs when man makes a plan."  Within an hour, the sky turned dark.  Thunderstorms are predicted for tonight and tomorrow.  I was pretty sure they were getting here early.

I called Steve again, and we both decided to try for another day for sailing.

I got some tires being held for my motorcycle (it needs new "shoes"), and made an appointment to get it in Wednesday morning (when it is supposed to be cold and still rainy).

As of 3:00, not only did it not storm, it is beautiful blue skies, with a few friendly-looking puffy white clouds.  Pretty sure Mother Nature is laughing.

We got our grocery shopping done (Wally World was "holiday busy"), after a light lunch out.  I'd rather be sailing with my buddy.  Right now: nothing on radar.  Nothing in this area for the "future radar."  But, there is still a warning for "potential severe weather, with possible heavy rain, wind, hail, and a chance of tornados."  I'll be happy to see "nothing" and have put off a day of sailing.


 Look at that little bit of a blip between 4:30 and 4:45.  Really, while the "weather guessers" messed with the plan for today, I'll be happy to not see anything severe.  I don't trust 'em.  There was just a "Severe Weather Watch" on TV, this county included in it.  I checked radar again... I don't see it.  I believe (hope) they are just messing with us.

--------

Well, shit.  5:30, it's been hailing for about 15 minutes.  About marble size, occasionally bigger.  Certainly not the pounding we took two years ago, but I cringe with each hailstone that hits the skylight... "Whang!"  Yes, we pulled the slides in.  Nothing much else we can do, until it lets up and we can go outside and see if there is any damage.

Joan said, "I hope you enjoy your riding here this summer - I don't think I can do this again."  I get that.  Rufus is not a happy boy, with the pounding noise.  Neither am I.

5:55 - rain has let up, still hailing.  6:00 - raining again, the hail has stopped.  I'll be waiting for the rain to stop before going out for a look around.  The local NBC affiliate said that "baseball size hail was reported in the Hart Ranch area."  I may be tempting fate by saying this, but we didn't see anything close to that.  My buddy Steve, who lives a couple miles northwest of here had this...

--------

The rain quit (for now - more forecast over the next couple days), so I was able to get outside to look around.  No damage that I can see.  There is plenty of water standing on the car and motorhome, but nothing obvious I could see through that.  Glass all looks good.  Chrome trim around the windows on the car look OK at first glance.  Still thunder and lightning out there, so I didn't spend a lot of time.  I didn't get up on the roof of the motorhome.

A couple more rounds of thunderstorms tonight, then it is supposed to be just rain for the next 24 hours.

--------

7:45 pm - looking to the east from our dinette window...


 Those rigs that are close together is the storage area.  LOTS of RVs in storage here, some people have the storage crew pull their rig out and put it on a site, then have them put it away when they leave (there is a charge for that).  You don't have to have a truck.

I was just showing that nasty looking cloud beyond the storage area.



 



2 comments:

Earl49 said...

Oh, hail no! Sorry that this is an issue again after the damage from past years. But you are in the heart of thunderstorm country and that uplift is where hail comes from, as you know. We get it here too occasionally. In fact, coming home from Alice's birthday dinner a month ago we got hit by hail up to 1/2" size. There are a couple of minor dents on the car hood, but no damage to the sun roof.

Hopefully you'll have a good weather window soon to sail with your friend. I miss boating too. And it is still a month before the Rally when things get really crowded there.

Only 88° here today so it will be a good afternoon to mow the lawn. We're heading for triple digits later in the week.

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

No obvious damage to the car or motorhome. A big lump in the throat, though.