Friday, July 7, 2023

Testing... 1, 2, 3... testing...

 

The first test of the new Insta360 Go 3 I received yesterday.  The camera has a lot of capability and is more intuitive and seems less fussy than any of the GoPro cameras I've had in the past.  It is a similar form factor as the GoPro when the camera is in the Action Pod.  The small camera can detach from that Action Pod or stay in it while in use.

I made a short video while out for my morning bicycle ride.  Well, I made a 30 minute video, but edited it after a minute or two because it showed me what I wanted to see.  My plan was to try the onboard microphones to see how they do in the wind - there is a "wind reduction" setting, and this morning it was blowing 10 to 12 mph plus my bike speed of around 10 mph.  The audio is adequate, but still better than any GoPro I've had.  The video is good: the stabilization is excellent; using the camera clipped to my chest was a less than great view on the bicycle, but there are other mounts that will be better (including one that can clip to my bicycle helmet).

I did a short intro and outtro hand-held, with the on-bike video in between.  The file size is bigger than what I can upload direct to this blog page, so I have to upload it to YouTube to post it here.  The 4 minute video will take about 55 minutes to upload.


 While waiting for the video to upload, my first impressions: it's a good action camera.  It won't replace my 360 cameras, but it will be a good companion.  I'll be interested to try it out, as far as editing footage from this camera into some 360 video.

The video (not really for public consumption)...

 

This was a test to see what the angle is like, how the stabilization works, and the general use of the camera.

--------

Joan and I got out for a great afternoon ride!  I took the time to set up the new camera and a 360 camera... yes, I was able to enjoy the ride, as well.  We stopped for lunch at the Alpine Inn in Hill City; rode some fun twisty roads, cruised by Mt Rushmore (didn't stop this time).  Joan was feeling lucky, so we stopped for fuel and she bought a couple lottery tickets (Powerball and MegaMillions are both BIG).

It was a lovely day, mostly sunny and in the low to mid 70s; just right to be wearing a mesh riding jacket.  Between the 360 camera and the new Go 3, I shot 29 video clips.  It takes a while to edit and download the 360 videos; the files from the Go 3 download much faster by comparison.  That said, I have gotten used to being able to look forward, backwards, side to side, etc, etc with the 360 cameras; but I think I am going to like this Go 3.

It will take me a while to assemble and edit all those clips into a finished product.  I'll work on that tonight and probably tomorrow.  In the meantime, the "AI editor" lets you pick a few clips and tell it what genre you want... and puts together a short finished video clip... well, that was worth a try.  I had to laugh at the results: all those twisty roads and the AI picked nothing buy straight roads...


 --------

A couple still images from the day...


New camera above, the One X2 below...


No comments: