Sunday, July 30, 2023

Videos!

 

Over this past week, I've been trying the new Go 3 camera in different mounting positions to see what I like best.  This little camera has two microphones on it that do a decent job... until you add in some significant wind noise.  As in: on a motorcycle.  What I generally wind up doing is cutting the video file audio to almost nothing, then adding a music track or a voice over.  Sometimes I caption the video with a written scroll.

I have no delusions about how many people are watching these videos.  Or, how few.  I enjoy making them.  I don't "monetize" anything I do with this blog or the videos... it's just for the fun of it.  Some videos get as few as 50 views, others get over 15,000.

Last night, I worked up a couple videos I had shot over the last few days.  One is just music with an occasional text scroll.  The other has music for the intro and sign-off, with me talking through the rest of it.  The topic of the talk: Dual Clutch Transmission.  I think DCT is a great advance in motorcycle technology.  Seems like most riders don't understand how to use it... used properly, it is faster, easier, and more precise than a manual transmission.  But, you don't just hop on and go, riding it like it is a big scooter.

So, with that in mind, here are two videos.  They both feature some fun riding roads.  If you happen to view each and have an opinion, let me know which you prefer.  And, if it is neither, that's fine, too.

Music and riding...


A voice over the riding, and the topic of DCT...

Thanks!

--------

Another guitar player from the carbon fiber forum lives in the Black Hills; his name is Mark.  He was traveling back from Colorado today and would be going close to Hart Ranch - we made a plan to get together.  Here's a photo of us: him playing my Virtuo, me playing his gorgeous X20 with a koa veneer...


Some "show and tell," swapping guitar stories, visiting about how we got to where we are now.  Mark is a good player; we have very different styles, but we were able to make music.  Me playing his very class black X20 (yes, he has two X20s)...

It would have gone into the evening, but Mother Nature chased us off - yep, more thunderstorms.


 


3 comments:

Earl49 said...

FWIW, I prefer background music, captions, and the helmet cam. Narration and thru-windshield view is OK too, much better than nothing but not as "clean" visually. But I'm not the one who has to do the editing, so you do whatever works best and easiest for you. I will continue to enjoy riding along vicariously now that I've hung up my helmet. And we've never been to the Black Hills or to Sturgis.

Great progress on the AZ house. It's really coming along. And Rufus is a good boy [drink]. Alice flies to PHX on Monday morning now that her niece is officially married back in Minneapolis. Duke and Lucy and I are coping. Only 97° today.

Earl49 said...

Now that I see the addition with Mark, it is great to see you connecting and making music along the road.

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Hi Earl - thanks for the input. I'll probably continue to mix it up with the videos. The riding will start getting more crowded for the next couple weeks, with the Rally ramping up. It's interesting to ride through Sturgis and do a walk around, but the constant roar is good to leave behind, at some point.

We've made some changes in our plans based on what the builder is saying for a completion date. Still trying to keep those ducks wrangled as they get out of their row. ;-)

Rufus said to thank you for saying he's a good boy (drink). You might not have thought so when taking him for a walk yesterday... a neighbor a couple sites down has what looks like a German shepard youngster - the dog let out one bark as we walked by and Rufus let out a low guttural growl (a sound I've rarely heard him make) and the dog backed off, saying, "Be cool - I don't want any problem." The boy is friendly to dogs, but he can sense when to turn that off, I guess.

It was nice to meet Mark; he is a good player and that same passion for guitars.