Friday, January 19, 2024

Slo-mo...

 

"Shooting some video, Jim?" 

Well, I did, but that's not what the title is about.  Ever have one of those days where everything takes more time than it should?  This was one of those days.  A nice sunrise to start the day, though...

The plan for the day: get the motorhome out of storage, take it to Discount Tire, have them replace the front wheel trim piece that they pulverized.  Heading west on I-10, Joan could see on the Maps app that there was an accident and stopped traffic ahead.  We bailed off the Interstate just in the nick of time, and wound up taking surface streets to the storage unit.  Plenty of stoplights and traffic.

When we got to the storage unit, we got the coach ready to roll.  I expected it to take maybe 10 minutes at Discount Tire... I was wrong.  The guy who called us to let us know they had the trip piece in said we didn't need an appointment.  He was wrong.  The place was busy.  We had to park off to the side because there were no regular parking sites open.



Once they started on it, the guy didn't have an impact drill with a big enough bit, so I pulled the coach up closer to their building so he could use an air drive to take it off.  The trim piece did not go on easy.  After a half hour of lightly tapping at it with a hammer, the guy pulled the trim piece back off and hit the opening in the wheel with a high power wire brush.  Another 20 minutes and he got it in place... with only a small dent in it.  When he put the wheel back on, he gave it a spin test and it thunked to a stop.  The brake caliper was touching the inside of the wheel.  Wheel back off, bring out the manager who went after the inside of the wheel with that same powered wire brush.  Back on, spin test, then they had to hunt for "Big Bertha," the huge ass torque wrench.  All in, it was just over an hour and a half.

Joan asked me to take her to Texas Roadhouse for lunch.  A quick stop at the Post Office, then up the road and... this Texas Roadhouse isn't open for lunch on Fridays - only Saturday and Sunday.  New plan: we're going to BJ's.  After all, who doesn't like BJ's?  Yes, I am an adolescent in an old man's body.  We waited about 15 minutes for a server to come to our table.  On the bright side, the food was ready in less time than the wait to get our order taken.  Then, it took another 10 minutes for the server to give us our check when we were done and she said, "I'll be right back with your check."

Back home, Joan wanted to print out the insurance info on the new bike before I headed out for a ride.  The printer wanted to do a firmware update before it would print.  I took a photo of the info on her iPad screen, geared up.  Just as I was pulling the scoot out of the garage, Amazon pulled up with 8 packages.  I took them inside, attached a camera to my helmet ('cause I don't have any mounts to put a camera on the scoot - but I think they're in one of those packages), and I headed out.

It was after 3:00 at this point, so I chose to make it a ride up South Mountain - it would be a good opportunity to see how the Burgman pulls up hills (quite nicely, as it turns out)...



I was giggling to myself as I rode: this is a fun little scoot.  Enough power to keep it interesting and so easy to flick it through the curves.



These are stills from the video.  The perspective is all the same due to the camera being mounted on the chin of my helmet.  I stopped at the top and did a walk around to get some views of the bike...





Then, back down the mountain.  When I got home, there were a bunch of things we had ordered through vine: a camera mount, a battery charging case, a RAM-type clamp, and other stuff we paid for - two of which were mounts for the scoot to attach my phone and a camera.  Joan had other stuff to keep her busy while I got the mounts attached.

It was just after sunset by the time I was done, and Murphy wanted to go for a walk.  So, out to the yard... just like Rufus, he seems to really like being out this time of day.

I'm tired.




No comments: