Wednesday, March 27, 2024

Boop...

 

Betty?  No, but thanks for asking.

Tango came over first thing this morning; he and Murphy played nice.  Then they both wanted the same new toy...


 A couple stills...

Chillin' above; and All Star Wrestling below...


--------

Joan and I did some running after getting Murphy his lunch - the main thing was going to the motorhome to look it over (all good) and exercise the engine and generator...



I miss being out in the coach; in the past, this time of year, we would have been in it for over a month.  No need to make that run from south Texas to Arizona, since we live here now... but we are discussing taking a few days out in it... it's a lot of work to load it up for just a few days.  We'll see.

--------

Be Gentle - It's My First Time...

"Well, it's about time, Jim," you say?  Yes, it is.  I've been putting it off.  I know it's OK to do it, but somehow it just feels like I'm doing something naughty.

Wait!  What are we talking about?  Thanks for asking.  When we got back from our running today, I was feeling the need for some scooter time.  As usual, it is an easy run to South Mountain.  Today, though, the main surface road between us and the turn to get up on the mountain is closed for road work.  Not the first time since we've been here that the road has been closed.  I had to make a slight detour north to Baseline Road to go east for a couple miles to get around the road construction.

My ride up and down the mountain was a delight, as usual.  So, what about that "first time" you ask?  I'm getting there.  I knew the traffic was going to be thick at 4:00 on Baseline... and it was.  Traffic was backed up for a couple blocks thanks to the stoplight on 35th Ave.  I was waiting in my lane, when 2 sport bikes went by me... yes, "lane splitting."  Well, the legal term is "filtering," and it is now legal in Arizona under certain circumstances... and when traffic is stopped, it is legal to ride the line between the lanes to get to the front of the line.  I watched them go by, and followed behind.  Yes, I felt like I was doing something wrong and was on high-alert to see if any cars were going to shift their lane position to cause me a problem.  They didn't.

The light turned green and the three bikes were all off ahead of the car/truck traffic.  That probably cut 10 minutes off that 2 block stretch.  And, in case you are wondering: when you see some dumbass doing that on the freeway when traffic is moving at 70 mph - NO, that is NOT legal.  So, my first time.  I am no longer a filtering virgin.

For those keeping track, the only states I know where this is legal are California (where it has been legal for years) and Arizona (where the law was enacted just last year).


2 comments:

Earl49 said...

Lane splitting always scared me when we lived in NorCal thirty-plus years ago. We'd be stuck in rush hour traffic on Hwy 101 and a bike would pass between lanes. I certainly get the appeal, but I've also seen some idiot open his car door suddenly just to block this "cheating" and scare the bejeezus out of the biker. I never witnessed an accident, but saw some close calls, and never tried it myself. Glad it worked for you.

The great Murphy / Tango wrestling match yesterday was precious. Thanks for posting the video.

I am buried with work this week -- probably close to 70 hours when done, maybe stretching into the weekend. Taking last week off to visit AZ and NV is being punished big time. It is getting easier to come to terms with retirement. When I'm this frenzied and exhausted, there is no room for guilt.

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Ah, yes, Earl - I remember working... schedules to meet... overtime (that you don't pay yourself when you own the company). You are going to like retirement.

Everything worked just like it should with the lane splitting/filtering - nice for my first time