Thursday, March 14, 2024

Live to Ride, Ride to Eat...

 

No, that's not what it says on the Harley t-shirt.  Joan met Cindy this morning to go to a plant sale.  That left me without adult supervision.  So, after Murphy got his lunch, I decided to go out for mine.  I opened the garage door and was getting ready to gear up when Steph and Dan's garage door opened.  Steph came over to our garage and asked where I was heading, then said, "You can take one of our cars if you want."

"Lunch out is just a reason to go ride - I don't need no stinkin' car."  Well, OK, I didn't say the "stinkin' car" part, but that reads better.  I'm off for a gastronomic treat: hot dogs.  Not just any ol' hot dog, I'm heading to Weinerschnitzel.  A 50 mile or so round trip for a couple chili cheese dogs.

I took the Burgman, and it did fine on the Loop 202, Interstate 10, and the Loop 101.  It gave me a chance to check some speedometer speeds vs actual speed: like many scooters, the speedometer is a bit optimistic, but not bad; at 71 mph on the speedo, I was doing an actual 68.  At 75 indicated, I was doing 71.  And there was more to be had if I needed to go faster; well, it would take a while to get to a faster speed, but the scoot can do it.  I headed west, north, west, and north with a 5 to 10 mph north wind.  No fuss.



 The Schnitz was good.  The girl at the counter asked if I wanted "the all beef dogs"... I said, "No, I want the ones with the eyeballs, gonads, and toenails - they taste better."

"You're funny," she said.  Better than: "You're funny looking."

I finished my chili cheese dogs and went back out to my bike.  A Mom with what looked like a 7 or 8 year old boy were just coming out, and the kid said, "Nice motorcycle!"

I didn't correct him, because the State of Arizona calls this a motorcycle, too.  And, it is - just a slightly different shape.  I said to the kid, "Do you want to try it on?"

He looked at his Mom for approval, and I guess I looked harmless, she said, "If this nice man has the time."

"Sure.  Hop on."  I had the bike on the centerstand, but I held it just in case.  He had to kinda hop to make it to the seat, and he couldn't quite touch the floorboards.  "Hold on here," as I pointed out the grips.  He beamed.  "You're going to have to do some growing before it will fit you, but that will happen in no time."

He and his Mom thanked me (she said, "He loves motorcycles!), and I finished gearing up.  There was more traffic on the ride back, but I was just enjoying being out and about... with a belly full of Schnitz.

Back home, I was just changing out of my riding gear when Joan came in.  She had the back end of the Equinox full of plants, so I guess it was a successful outing.


Steph and Dan were back, so we all helped get them from the car to the yard.  Somewhere in there (maybe not in the photo) there is a catnip plant.

It was a lovely sunny day.  This was not predicted as of yesterday morning: the weasels were calling for "cloudy, cooler, breezy, and a chance of rain."  They moved that back a day, so today was a "bonus ride day."

--------

I didn't get this one posted earlier, but Murph and I were out for a yard walk this morning...


Yes, it looks kinda like the one Joan shot yesterday, but this one is mo' betta' because I shot it.  :-)


2 comments:

Earl49 said...

What a fine handsome lad. I look forward to meeting Murphy on Sunday evening or Monday afternoon, however it works out. Oh, and seeing you guys again too. :-)

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Looking forward to it, Earl. See you soon.