Friday, March 1, 2024

Them Changes...

 

If you said, "Buddy Miles, 1970," you get 25 bonus points.  If you said something about somebody called Thundercat, get off my lawn ya damn kids.

The construction in our development is hoppin'.  There is a house going up between us and the view of the Estrella Mountains to the west...


 That will likely be the only home build that will impact our view that way, but it is in-line with the notch in the mountains where the sun goes down in January.  Ah, progress.  Not much impact to the south of us, with another "upscale" community starting to develop... South Mountain is much closer to us than the Estrellas.

I made breakfast for us this morning, and we ate out on the patio.  Murphy did a walk, then settled in his catio while we were out there...


I can't say for certain, but I think he likes the catio more than walks on the leash.  When he goes outside, he will go the catio and wait for one of us to open the door on it.  Yes, you can still see that bare patch where the vet shaved his leg to put in an I-V a couple weeks ago.  And, for an update on that: the culture that was generated showed no infection.  I guess all the ear drops and cleaning did make a difference.

--------

I got out for a ride this afternoon (while Joan was grocery shopping); took the scooter.  As I mentioned to Earl in the comments: lots of bicycles and motorcycles out enjoying the beautiful weather and fun roads on South Mountain.  I didn't shoot and photos or video, just out enjoying the ride.

A guy on a sportbike blew past me as I slowed down for the last speed bump (there are a bunch of them as you first come into the park) before you get to the fun roads.  I half-heartedly tried to stay with him, but his bike was made for this.  I enjoyed the ride, and when I got to the parking lot at top, he was standing by his bike... I pulled up by him and raised my helmet: "Nice riding back there."

He said, "Sorry if I got too close to you when I passed."

I said, "You didn't - looked like you were having fun."  I think he was relieved that some old fart wasn't going to cuss him out for riding too fast.  We visited for a bit.  He asked me, "How does that bike do on roads like this?"  I think he was looking for a polite way to ask if it was any fun.

"You may have heard the saying: 'It is more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow.'  That is an absolute fact."  He nodded in agreement, but I'm not sure he was convinced.  "Well, I'm off - I'll watch for you behind me and give you plenty of room to get around."  And then I was off, enjoying the ride back down the mountain.

I was behind a car for a while, but the lady driving it eased over to the side the first chance she had so I could safely get around.  I gave her a friendly wave as I went by.  Not to much later, and I saw the guy on the sport bike coming up in my mirrors.  I moved to the right side of the lane and waved him around.  Everybody should get to ride their own ride.

I was home shortly after Joan got back from shopping.  She had stopped to pick up Firehouse Subs for a late lunch for us.  Then, some guitar time with Joan and Murphy as my adoring audience.  And now, out on the paito for late afternoon, in the shade of the patio umbrella and the pergola.

My kinda day.


2 comments:

Earl49 said...

Glad to hear that Murphy's ears are better. I find it amusing that he likes the catio as much as the leash walks. Although I have not commented, the riding posts are always enjoyable to this former rider.

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Thanks, Earl. I had my doubts when Joan got the catio - Murphy's predecessors did not like being in anything resembling a cage (although Izzy really liked her carrier). Mu; Murprphy took to the catio right away.

Right now, just before 5:00 pm, we're all out on the patio, Murphy's in his catio, Joan is watching some local news, I'm on my laptop. 79º and sunny, wind light and variable. It is downright lovely.

As is my daily routine, I got out for a ride this afternoon. Quite a few bicycles and motorcycles on the mountain... everyone wanted to be out enjoying the day. No photos or video. But, really, it happened.