Thursday, March 21, 2024

Have a seat...

 

Sit a spell.  Take your shoes off.  Y'all come back now, hear?

If you said, "A line from the theme song to the Beverly Hillbillies," you get 10 bonus points.  If you said, "Did you finally make a decision on the seat for your Burgman scooter?" -  you are right.

I have been agonizing on this seat decision.  The Corbin seat is expensive (nearly 20% of the cost of the bike)... and no returns.  It is a known item for me, since I've had previous Corbin seats on other bikes, and currently have one on the CTX.  The other option is having a local guy remake my stock seat (for about half the price).  This morning, I placed my order for the Corbin...


With the blue stitching and welt, it will look better on my dark blue bike, compared to their "configurator" on their website.  Well, that is my hope.

Now, I get to wait "6 to 8 weeks" for the seat to show up at our house.  If you go to the Corbin showroom/factory in California (near San Francisco), you can get "ride-in service," where they will make your seat, and install it, the same day.  Nice service... if you are local.

When I ordered the Corbin for that first Vespa at the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally, the timing was such that I ordered it on a Thursday and they had a truck coming in from their factory the following Monday (yes, 4 days later) with my seat on it.  I was impressed.  And the seat was gorgeous.  And a perfect fit.

I am hoping this seat will be a perfect fit, since Corbin has never made one for a Burgman 200 after 2021, and mine is a newer model.  I couldn't find any info that anything had changed on the Burgman over that time.  In fact, to order a new OEM seat from Suzuki, the part number is the same from 2021 and later... so, I am hopeful that it is the same.  We'll see.

In the meantime, when I go out on the B200, I am using that generic seat pad that Joan got for me on Vine.  It raises me up just enough so that my tailbone doesn't rub against the seat.  My seat padding is less than the seat padding on the bike.

Speaking of padding: Corbin seats are firm.  Made more like a saddle than a cushy seat.  It takes a thousand miles or so to break-in the seat... or, perhaps your butt gets used to the firmness in all those miles?  Either way, the Corbin on my CTX is great (after breaking it in)... hoping for more of the same for this new one.

--------

Yeah, yeah... motorcycles, scooters, blah, blah - where's the cat content?

Thanks for asking.  This morning, Joan moved the chairs at our kitchen counter...


This will probably be hard to imagine, but Murph can be an imp at times.  Morning is most often his wild time... he is not allowed on the kitchen counters... and some days that's all he wants to do.  He will sometimes sneak his way up there, but is most often blatant about it.  He jumps from the floor to one of the chairs, and up onto the counter.  Joan has pulled the chairs away from the counter in their normal position, just farther away... the furry boy can make that jump from 6 feet away with excellent accuracy.  Joan has turned the chairs 180º - Murphy will position himself balanced on the back of the chair and make the leap.  If you tell him "No! Get down!" he will generally do just that... and by "generally," I mean about 37% of the time.  As far as we can tell (by checking our inside security cameras), he isn't up there while we're gone... it makes me think this a game... and he is winning.

When Joan put the chairs in that configuration in the photo above, I laughed out loud - it looks like Murphy is riding in a bus!  I predicted that he would jump from chair to chair... it took almost 20 seconds for that prophesy to come true.  He went from chair to chair with the grace of an Olympic gymnast, then turned around and jumped it in reverse.  And then went to the counter... "No! Get down!!"

For full disclosure, Murphy has his own bar stool: it is the same as what you see in the photo, but it has a "cooling pad" on it (slick fabric) - we move that chair to the glass patio door each morning when we get up so he can look outside.

Murphy and Tango had a couple play dates today.  They usually turn into wrestling matches.  This afternoon, Joan brought in some catnip from one of her plants, and the boys each had a chew.  This was a pretty mellow get-together...


There was a bit of wrestling, but it looked like slow-motion and very little contact.  ;-)


4 comments:

Earl49 said...

Murphy is such an imp. It is great to see him getting along with Tango.

I’m on the road again in the morning with a planned stop in Winnemucca to break the last leg in half. In past years I have driven from Pahrump straight through to Boise, but I seem to be getting older and wiser… or maybe just tired. This road trip is kicking my butt more than in past years. One little misadventure this morning. I went outside and hit the clicker to unlock the car just to get something and it was totally dead. Changed the battery in the key fob, nothing still. I had to use the manual key to open the Subaru. 9(Turns out the manual key will NOT relook the door). With a trickle charger on it for about two hours in the driveway there was enough juice to start again. But I was taking no chances since the plan is to drive through the “exciting” Nevada National Strategic Sagebrush Reserve, so Wallyworld installed a brand new AGM battery for me this morning. So far, so good. I should get five more years on that battery.

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Hi Earl - that is an unsettling feeling when something electrical that affects getting into or starting the vehicle isn't as usual. That is a long stretch of not much you have to go through (perhaps even more remote feeling than west Texas). Travel safe!

Earl49 said...

This morning I went out into the dark garage only to find a dome light on in the tailgate area. A manual switch I had never noticed has three positions, and it somehow got inadvertently set to "on" instead of "dome". It is now OFF. That dome light probably explains my dead battery on Thursday morning after sitting for nearly two days, but it also told me that the factory battery was nearing its end of days.

I always take the car to the cheap early bird car wash first thing and remove all evidence of the major roads trips, then top it off with gas again. Otherwise I rarely see the car in total darkness. At least I have a suspect....

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

There's an "early bird" car wash? That never would have worked in the Tropical Tip - with all the dew, the car would never dry. ;-)

Good to know that you don't have an electrical issue with your Subaru. Hadn't see that switch before? Maybe Subaru is like Apple and "pushes" an update overnight - they put that switch in while you were asleep?!!