Friday, March 8, 2024

Daylight Saving Time...

 

It's coming this weekend: time to "spring forward" on Sunday.  And along with that, the semi-annual grousing of people about making the change.  I always appreciated the extra daylight at the end of the day... "But what about getting up in the dark?" some will counter.  If I had to choose, I'd take the dark in the morning rather than having it earlier in the evening.  But, that's just me.

How do you end this twice a year debate?  Move to Arizona.  Arizona does not participate in Daylight Saving Time.  Why?  I have no idea.  But, it's the main reason we moved to Arizona.  Oh, sure, there's that being close to Steph and Dan thing, and being ready for change after 20 years of living on an island, and... yes, I'm kidding.

But look at all the time we'll "save" by not messing with clocks and watches...

What's that?  Yes, we wear Apple Watches, and they take care of themselves.  And, a lot of our clocks handle that, as well.  But, we still have some old school clocks, as well as the clocks in the car and bikes... and I have to get the owners manual out each time I reset the clock on Joan's Xmax (nothing intuitive about that reset).  Just go with me on this - how many man hours are wasted twice year with all this clock resetting?  That's a rhetorical question... I don't have time for all this.

The real question this weekend: Who are you wearing for the Oscar parties?  The real answer: Who cares?  I'll be busy not re-setting clocks.



1 comment:

Earl49 said...

I agree with you, and with AZ. Daylight Savings Time was really ridiculous when we lived in Alaska. With 19½ hours of daylight at the summer solstice (no loggable night hours for pilot currency before September) and 5½ hours of marginal "daylight" at the winter solstice, what difference does it really make? At the equinoxes everyone on the planet gets 12/12.

The clock in the living room was almost 30 minutes slow this morning. Since I had to put a new battery in anyway, I went ahead and let it spring forward. One less clock to set tomorrow morning. I'm not looking forward to the awkward process in the Subaru. That takes about 81 menus and steps, and usually multiple attempts.