Friday, April 12, 2019

A Y chromosome...


I decided to head to our pool area this morning, to try for some low impact exercise - I want to be in decent shape before the hip replacement, and I have 4 weeks.

We have and indoor and an outdoor pool here in our resort, both very nice.  I don't think we've used either of the pools in over 5 years.  I first went to the outdoor pool, dipped my toe in, and said, "Nope."

A guy who was in the hot tub by that pool said, "It's a bit chilly right now, but the pool feels pretty good when it's hot out."

I said, "I guess I'll give the indoor pool a try."

He said, "There's an exercise class going on in there right now... they're not very welcoming to anyone with a Y-chromosome."

I chuckled and went to the indoor pool - about a dozen female senior citizens and one old guy.  They were already into their program, so I went to the deep end of the pool and swam about 10 laps.  Yep, I'm outta shape.  As the exercise group started a routine that moved them towards my end of the pool, I got out, to in infringe on their space.  Well, that and I wanted to catch my breath.

When the class moved back to the shallow end of the pool, I slipped back into the deep end.  When the class was done, I went to the lady who was in charge of it and asked about the class... the guy in the hot tub was wrong, she was very welcoming.  Nothing formal - just show up, starting Monday (the class is an hour, Monday through Friday).  Bring a pool noodle.

I cleaned up in the shower room there and came home.  Joan said she'd do the class with me.  Since it was time for lunch, we swung by Wally World to pick up a couple pool noodles before heading to Burger Fi, on the island.  That is the last of the "must eat at" places since we've been home... well, except for a Sunday Brunch Joan would like to do.  Hey, a guy has to eat to keep up his strength.

It was reasonably clear when I went to the pool, a fog moving in when I came home.  And even more fog when we headed out for lunch...


You could barely see across the Intracoastal as we drove across our bridge (above).  And in the image below, you can usually see the 2 1/2 long causeway and South Padre Island in the distance - not today...


On the bright and sunny side: lunch at Burger Fi was great!  Of course, you're always hungry after swimming.  ;-)

-------

A couple Y-chromosome critters...


Yep, that's my big boy.  Look at that face...



No comments: