Thursday, April 25, 2019

Pre-op...


That's what we folks in the medical know call it.  I had the "discussion" with the surgeon's PA (that's: Physician's Assistant, again for those in the know) this morning; his explanation of recovery time was not as optimistic as the surgeon's.  Plus, I got to sign paperwork saying that I understand the risks involved in surgery... wasn't any discussion of the bad shit beforehand, either.  This far into it, there are no "backsies."  ;-)  That's a joke - I am only looking forward.  Everything at the surgeon's office went well: we were early, they took us in early, and we are good to go with them.

Onto the hospital pre-op session.  We were an hour and 15 minutes early for that - didn't know if we should go have lunch (1:00 appointment) or just go check in... we decided to just go for it.  They took us in early.  Everything went well there.  They took more blood, asked a lot of questions, and had me do a lung capacity test... I scored 99% on the first try, 105% (of normal) on the second shot.  Back to the nurse, and she wanted me to do the lung "exercise" device - she said, "Your surgeon would like you to try for 2500 on this; have you ever used one of these?"

"Yes, ma'am, but it has been years ago."  I showed her that I knew how to use it (the opposite of the other test: you suck in on this one)... hit 3500 on the first try.  Yeah, my lungs are OK.

The "getting ready stuff" was discussed: the main thing to do at home is scrubbing tonight and tomorrow with some antibiotic body wash they give you.  Not sure how stupid some of their patients are, but she reinforced to us: "You scrub with this, you don't drink it."  (No, I am not kidding.)

I have my "bracelet" on, was told what to bring for clothes and toiletries, and to expect to do some waiting tomorrow... we have to be there at 5:30 A-freakin'-M, they will get me in my private room, and the surgeon does "knees first, then hips"; i.e. expect to be last in line.  Hey, I am two weeks ahead of schedule - what's a few hours.  The "overnight" hospital stay may be "two or three nights," depending.  Apparently, depending on all the bad shit I had to initial.

The hospital folks we dealt with were all great, too; friendly and efficient.  Yes, I am anxious about this whole thing, but I am "hip deep" in it now (get it?)... time to get 'er done.


6 comments:

Bill K said...

Good luck Jim.

Bill Kelleher

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Thanks, Bill.

BiloxiBeau said...

Best wishes on the surgery and recovery

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

I appreciate it, BB.

Bob said...

Hey Jim, I will let the Doc do the cutting but I will be doing some praying. The combo never fails. Lord bless you and as I had a knee done a bit back, may I suggest giving it time to heal and not be your normal self! See ya.
Bob Jarrard

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Thanks, Bob - good advice. Well, except for that "normal" stuff.