Saturday, April 27, 2019

The deed is done.


Well, the hip has been turned bionic.  Yesterday was a "marathon wait" - we were in a hospital room for 9 1/2 hours before they took me down for surgery.  Joan came with me to the "holding room," where we waited a bit longer, then said our good-byes.


I thought it said, "Flight Risk"  Nope, "Fall Risk."

Waiting in the hospital room...

The surgeon came in and marked my hip with a B  (the initial for his last name, too)


I had one IV line in when I headed for my turn at surgery;  I had 3 of them in when I got back.  They put something else in the IV, and I don't remember anything after that.  Well, I do vaguely recall being combative in the recovery room  Apparently, they were trying to move me around, and I wasn't having anything to do with that.


 After the surgery, and back in the private room...


I was a bit queezy when I got back to the room.  I got to have breakfast and lunch (after a long day yesterday with no food.

A hospital physical therapist came by to get me standing.  I stood for a few seconds, then felt like I was going to puke.  She sat me up in a chair in my room and said she'd be back after lunch to see if any of that upset stomach went away.

Sorta.  I walked about 100 feet with a walker.  Practiced on some stairs.  Every move hurt like a bitch.  I asked about when they might spring me, and the therapist said, "I'll talk with the surgeon - I think you're safe to go home.

The nurse who I dealt with pulled out my IVs and gave me a long list of dos and don'ts.

She got back to us and hour or so later, and I have been released.  Every move still hurts, but I think I will get more rest at home than another night in the hospital.  Joan pulled the car up to the south side entrance, and an orderly delivered me to the car.

Once home, I had to go up the 5 stairs to the landing at our front door.  Joan has been helping me every step of the way.  And each step  has been tough.  Yes, this is only day one after the surgery.  Hopefully, the improvement will come fast and the pain will diminish.


2 comments:

BiloxiBeau said...

rooting for you my cbrat friend. prayers for both you and Joan

Bob & Nancy from Ashley Lynn

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Thanks, Bob & Nancy... I'm moving a bit slow right now, but I am moving. ;-)