Tuesday, April 16, 2019

So, my buddy MJ wanted to know about the internist's office...


My appointment is for tomorrow at 3:30, to have a physical, chest X-ray, EKG, and blood tests.  I called them on Monday to see if I could come in Tuesday morning to have blood drawn, so they could have the results from that in time for my appointment.  The nice young lady who answered the phone said, "Yes, that will be fine - no appointment is necessary just for drawing blood."  Then, she reminded me that I will need to be fasting for the blood test.

On the way to the doctor's office this morning, someone from their office called to confirm my appointment for tomorrow.  I said, Yes, at 3:30 - I will be there.  And, I am on my way to your office right now to have blood drawn."

Her big concern was paperwork: "Do you have your paperwork for the blood test?  Have you filled out patient paperwork?  Do you even know what blood tests you need?"

Yes, yes, and yes.  She asked me a couple more times about the paperwork, and I finally got out of her that I could get blood drawn this morning.

Of course, when we got there, just in time for the annual meeting of the "Hacking and Coughing Convention," the cranky woman at the front window told me I couldn't get blood drawn until the doctor sees me.  I nicely explained that I had confirmed it with two other people from her office and was told, "They didn't know you were a new patient.  We can't draw blood on a new patient until the doctor sees you.  It's procedure."

I love that "it's procedure" line.  As though by saying that there is no recourse.  Euphemistically, I was a bit firm and insistant.  She said, "Debbie said we can't do that."

"I don't know who Debbie is, but let me talk to her.  It's an hour drive to get here, I have been fasting, and I confirmed this TWICE.  I don't plan on leaving this window until we get this straightened out.  She closed the window.  Yes, really.  And after a few minutes, she opened the window and said, "Have a seat.  Someone will call your name to take you back and draw blood."

I guess I can be persistent.  Some might say stubborn.  I hate dealing with the bullshit and inefficiency that is pervasive in the medical biz.

Fortunately, the surgeon and the people in his office are nothing like this internist's office: friendly and professional.  I just need to get through being cleared so we can get this achy ol' hip taken care of.

Oh, and I let MJ know my opinion of this internist's office (and I haven't even seen him, yet): "the office staff sucks swamp ass."  And, it's a good thing they didn't check my blood pressure when they took blood.


No comments: