Friday, October 18, 2019

Arroyo...


By definition, an arroyo is: a small steep-sided watercourse or gulch with a nearly flat floor: usually dry except after heavy rains.  In this case, Arroyo City is along the Arroyo Colorado in south Texas, and I have never seen it dry.  In fact, we have taken previous boats up the Arroyo for overnights.  It has been about 15 years since we've seen it from the land side.

We were looking for a place to ride to - a destination of sorts.  Joan suggested Arroyo City, and I was in.  Getting ready to head out - the Vespa...


Joan, on our island...


Riding off the island, a look to the ICW to the left, the Laguna Madre to the right, and the last section of the bridge straight ahead...



Through Port Isabel, Laguna Heights, and Laguna Vista, on the highway...


Yeah, flat and straight.  It us just under 50 miles to Arroyo City.  "City" may be a misnomer; it is more of a fishing village... lots of homes and fishing cabins along the river, several bait shops, and one restaurant.  A few RV parks and boat/RV storage lots.



Most of the houses and cabins are right along the river - at this lot below, you can see how close the river is from the road...




Chili Willie's, the restaurant/bar...


Leaving town, you can tell this is a windy area...


Joan is enjoying her Xmax...


I'm thinking she will enjoy it even more when we get to some place with hills and curves.  ;-)

A look at the Quad Lock holding my phone...


This is a good solution: you can put the phone in place or remove it with one hand; and, it latches solid without having to put a rubber tether around the corners.  Fast and easy, and I can position it right where I want it.

I suggested a stop at a "Texas Stop Sign" on the way home... aka the Dairy Queen.  They have motorcycle parking...


A light lunch and a Sundae for each of us.  Yeah, that was a good stop.  When we came out, it was interesting to see the size perspective with the Vespa and the Xmax...


Modern Asian design (left) vs classic Italian design (right).

As we were coming across the bridge to our island, our timing was good: that boat was 1 minute out for a bridge opening...


Once home, Joan ran to the store - she has a hankering (that's Texas talk) for some Italian vegetable soup and went to get the ingredients.  I hopped back on the Vespa to get the current scooter "tag."  She called me when I was just leaving the house; I pulled over to the side of the road to answer the phone... "The bridge has been open for a while, and just before it closed, it opened up all the way - don't be in a hurry."

"Too late, I'm already riding that direction."

"Well, there is room in front of me to put the scooter and you can get in the air conditioned car with me," she said.

"See you in about a minute."

It was nice to be in the car while I was waiting - another hot one in the ol' town tonight.


No comments: