Wednesday, October 30, 2019

Not a conspiracy theory...


I was participating in a thread on Facebook, where friend Tom Parrent was lamenting about yet another change in iTunes, and Apple deleting his paid for songs.  They are going to a streaming service, so yet another inconvenience for those who have loaded music.  I was ticked about having an iOS update pushed that I didn't authorize.  Looking around on-line, I found many others who felt the same.  That led me to an on-line chat with an Apple rep last night: I wanted to find out if this is Apple's new "policy" regarding iOS updates.  He couldn't answer my question, so he turned me over to his supervisor.  He couldn't answer my question, so he scheduled me for a call-back from an Apple rep this morning.  Here's my follow-up to Tom on Facebook...
 
-------
 
Tom Parrent: Just got off the phone with an Apple rep. You are right; the nice lady on the phone (very articulate, btw) did the customer service thing right out of the book: apologized for any inconvenience, sided with me ("I had that same thing happen, then realized I pushed 'Install' instead of 'not now'."), offered to do "a diagnostic" on my device (no, thanks), and said she would report it to the engineers. When I asked, "Has anyone else reported this push without authorization?", she told me no.

Not a "conspiracy theory," but she did say there was "an issue" with 13.1.1 that required an update. It was 13.1.2 that pushed without permission. I am NOT guessing that I did not accept that update. Joan came up with an easy solution: turn wifi off on my phone overnight. (insert head slap here) 13.1.3 is still "waiting", so obviously not an unauthorized push.

Great customer service protocol, just not a direct answer nor a solution. I'm guessing they have a box they can check for "Old guy who doesn't know how to use his device."
 
Or, as I have been known to say: "Bullshit."
 
 

No comments: