Saturday, January 18, 2020

Exercise...


Rufus and me.

Out for my morning bike ride, I was surprised at the number of people out and about.  Mostly walkers, a few riding bikes, but hardly any cars, trucks, or golf carts to have to dodge; I didn't have to stop or swerve radically to keep from being run down.  I did have two ladies that I stopped for...

As I got close on my bike, one said, "Ask him - go ahead, ask him."

I figured it was a question about the e-bike.  As I slowed to stop by them, she asked, "Are you married?"

"Oh, yes; are you taking a poll?"

The other said, "We see you ride by almost everyday, but you're always by yourself..."

I said, "My wife is already in good shape; she doesn't have to work at it like I do.  She has a bike just like this, but she doesn't ride it as much as I ride mine."

"OK - enjoy your ride."

When I got home, Joan had fruit cut up for us, and started breakfast.  I told her I would take Rufus for a walk when we were done eating.  The vet agrees that he isn't over-eating, but he should get some more exercise.  He seems to think "exercise" means jumping up into his favorite chair and occasionally changing positions...


"Do you want to go for a walk, Ruf?" I asked.  One eye opened a bit.  Joan got out his harness and leash - when he saw that, he hopped down from the chair, ready to go.

I have explained what "walking the cat" is like here, but here's an update: he walks down the steps, chews a bit of grass (doesn't really swallow it), then maybe once around the house.  While on his leash.  My plan for today was to get him to walk further - I would carry him down the block a bit, then he'd have to walk back home.

Just as I got to the street, my buddy Mike stopped on his bike and we visited for a bit.  I put Rufus down so he could wander... plus, he gets heavy.  When Mike was ready to move on, I tried to encourage Rufus to walk - nope, there is more grass that needs to be investigated and chewed.  I picked him up and carried him a half block or so down the street.  Really, that was more exercise than I felt the need for.

A lady walking the other direction said, "Are you taking your cat for a walk?  He doesn't get much exercise if you carry him... oh, he is a handsome cat!"  Rufus knows that phrase, so he turned his head into what little breeze there was to allow the wind to flow through his mane.  The boy was workin' it!

I put him down and he was OK walking further away from home.  There is grass between every driveway, so... yeah, we stop.  With some encouragement, I got him turned around and heading for home.  More stops.  Our next door neighbor was doing something with the golf cart in his driveway, and we visited for a bit.  Rufus rolled in the grass.  Then walked as far as the leash would allow, turned around, and slid backwards out of the harness... he also has that technique down.  So, if you see me walking him on a leash, it is pretty much at his discretion.

Larry (our neighbor) saw that and asked, "Do you need to go get him?"

"No, he won't run off."  He went about a foot further than the leash would have allowed, and stopped to wait for me.  It was time to head in, so I didn't bother putting his harness and leash back on.  He went right to his chair: "Good workout, Pops - I need to rest."

All that exercise wears a guy out.  ;-)

---------

Joan told me that Musician's Friend had a hot deal on a case for my bass guitar.  After being ticked at the whippersnapper at Guitar Center, I had just decided to use one of my other gig bags that didn't quite fit (a bass has a longer neck than a regular guitar).  This half price offering on the case put the price less than the gig bag we looked at.  It won't get to us before we head out, but it will be waiting for us as Steph's.  "What's the plan for the bass on the way there?" Joan asked.

"Wrap it in a beach towel or something;  it'll be fine."  I didn't mention it to her, but Johnny B. Goode got by with "carrying his guitar in a gunny sack."  ;-)  Hard to find a decent gunny sack these days.

The case looks pretty decent, actually.  It made me think of my early days playing guitar: I had a cheap electric guitar (of the famous Recco brand - I believe that was Japanese for "cheap ass guitar") that came with a vinyl bag.  No padding.  The handle on the bag broke first time I tried to take the guitar anywhere.  When I started making money for playing (at age 12), my first purchase was a nice case... yes, the case cost more than the guitar.  But, I looked much cooler showing up with a nice case instead of a vinyl bag.  It took the better part of another year to save up for a good guitar.

Ah, reminiscing...


I know what you're thinking: "Oh, Beatle hair-cut, turtleneck, corduroy pants, and a Recco guitar - total chick magnet!"  You're only making fun because you can't really see my case (on the far side of the Sears Silvertone amp).  No one asked if I was married back then.


No comments: