Thursday, January 16, 2020

Focus...


Nothing to do with a camera - this is about target fixation.

Definition: Target fixation is an attentional phenomenon observed in humans in which an individual becomes so focused on an observed object (be it a target or hazard) that they inadvertently increase their risk of colliding with the object.

I was out riding my e-bike this morning.  Warm, humid, and mostly sunny.  I was thinking to myself: "Self, almost 2/3 of the way through the ride, and no one has tried to run me over, yet."

A half block or so ahead, I saw an old get getting on a bicycle.  You know that old saying: it's like riding a bike?  I'm guessing it has been a while since this guy was on a bike.  I'm basing that on seeing him wobble around while he got the bike moving generally forward.  He was on the opposite side of the street from me, heading towards me.  Then, he started a diagonal path towards my side of the street.

My first thought was: maybe he wants to visit?  (I do get questions or comments about the e-bike.)  But, no... as he got closer, I could see he was looking at me, but pretty sure he wasn't seeing me... or, at least, comprehending our closing situation.  I moved towards the middle of the street, and he moved back.  I moved towards my side, so did he.  Finally, I hollered, "Heads up!" and he slowly moved back towards his side of the road.

I see a lot of interesting behavior on my morning rides: people walking dogs, walking themselves, riding bicycles, driving golf carts... generally, it is people backing out of the driveway without looking that I have to be on high alert for.

First time ever my alarms went off for "target lock" from another bicycle.

------------------

Joan was telling me this morning that our local CBS affiliate announced some of the entertainment during this year's Spring Break (during the month of March)...

Waka Flocka Flame
DJ Diesel
Lil Nas X
NLE Choppa & Megan Thee Stallion
Saweetie
Gunna. Yella Beezy and Moneybagg Yo
DaBaby
Lil Baby
Two Friends
Fetty Wap

Just when I was feeling like maybe I am not older than dirt.  Nope; I am.


No comments: