Wednesday, July 14, 2021

Does this make sense?

 

Joan orders from Amazon.  Seems frequently to me... if it goes more than a couple days without an order, we get an "Are you OK?" message from Amazon.

Yes, I'm kidding.  If you look up anything on Amazon to get buying info, it is a certainty that you will start seeing ads for that item while you're surfing.  With Amazon Alexa at home, I am convinced that she is listening in on our conversations - if we discuss any purchase, without doing a web search, that item shows up in ads.  The first time it happened, I though that was cool.  Then, creepy.  Now, pretty much expected.

This morning, when I got back from my bicycle ride, Joan said, "Would you go to the Mail Room - I got notice we have something there."

"Is it small enough that I can use the bicycle?"

"Yes, it is just a short cord you wanted for your Vespa - it will probably be in a small envelope."  Literally, a 6" USB charging cable (to use in the glove box of my Vespa).

The box is 12" x 10" x 3.5"... for an item that would fit in a #10 envelope; or at most, one of those small padded envelopes.

 

The cord is in that small pouch in front.  They put it in that much larger than necessary box to ship it.  Now I know that Amazon has some kind of "deal" with the Post Office, UPS, and FedEx, but does this make sense to anyone??  The increased cost of handling and materials seems like an incredible waste.  Yes, we have Amazon Prime, so there isn't any increased cost to us for the shipping, but it has to cost Amazon more to send that out with 2-day shipping in that box compared to an envelope.  If I were to ship that box with 2-day service, I'm guessing it would cost me $20.  For a $6 cable.

?????


2 comments:

Earl49 said...

Shipping is a real mystery these days, and even more perplexing than airline routing. DTW-ANC via Raleigh-Durham, NC?? Fly 90 minutes in the exact opposite direction to get back to Anchorage.

Alice once ordered four pairs of Smart Wool socks for her petite feet. Of course, each pair of socks came separately in boxes about the size that you showed. WTF?? Sometimes I think it may be a disgruntled employee trying to stick it to the company, but these decisions are likely made by software. GIGO - Garbage In, Garbage Out.

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Hi Earl - at least it wasn't a left sock in one box and the right sock in another! Oh, yeah, I wear Keen socks - they have a right and left. They fit my fat feet better than "normal" socks.

Joan had one package go from Dallas to San Antontio to El Paso, back to Dallas, then to San Antonio once again before it finally came south to us. Less frustration back in the days before tracking. ;-)