Thursday, July 8, 2021

Sturgis - 4 Weeks Before the Rally...

 

A solo outing for me today, riding Joan's Xmax.  It was a lovely start to the day, with the weasels predicting upper 80s to low 90s by afternoon.  I was rolling before 10:00, after breakfast out and a grocery run.  Since I'd be riding alone today, I put on my high-viz mesh armored jacket... seems that other drivers notice us better when it is the two of us, less so when I'm out by myself.

This also gave me the opportunity to do a narrated video - instead of editing a bunch of clips together, this is one take while I ride through town.  I used the Insta360 One R camera to shoot the video, and the Instamic wireless microphone mounted in the chin guard on my helmet.  At this slow speeds, the mic does a decent job.  Another time, I'll put together a narrated video at speed.  But, today, it was all about getting a view of Sturgis, South Dakota, that the typical Rally-goer doesn't get to see...


 More of an experiment to see if I want to do (or there is any interest) in these narrated videos.

After leaving Sturgis, I rode up Vanocker Canyon - some truly great sweeping turns to be had there (another video sometime).  Traffic was light - nothing ahead or behind me in my lane, and few other vehicles in the oncoming lane.

At the end of Vanocker Canyon Road, I turned right, intending to take Nemo Road towards Rapid City.  That plan changed when, about 8 miles down the road, traffic was stopped.  There was a lighted road sign earlier stating that bridge work would have the road closed between 8:00 am and 4:00 pm tomorrow.  I wondered if they had started early?  One guy in a pickup pulling a cargo trailer did a U-turn... I wondered if that might be a smart move?  Ahead of several trucks in front of me, I saw a group of motorcycles, their riders had gotten off the bikes to get some shade.  I rode around the trucks to get to where the bikers were and asked if they knew what the hold was... seems that someone had a motorcycle accident around the next curve.  The ambulance had taken someone away, and they didn't know how long it would take to clear the accident scene and do whatever investigation is necessary... I decided to do a U-turn and head back to Vanocker Canyon... and more great riding.

I took the Interstate back to Rapid City, and decided to make a stop at the Harley dealer there - it says online that they are a Schuberth Helmet dealer.  The lady at the Information Desk didn't know anything about helmets and told me to ask one of the cashiers.  The cashiers looked like high school age girls and, likewise, didn't know anything about helmets... but one of them said she'd take me to find someone who would know.  I guess she was trying to make conversation when she asked, "If we have those helmets, do you want to buy one?"

I guess my humor was lost on her when I said, "Yes, unless you rent them."

She said, "I don't think we rent helmets, but I don't know for sure."

We waited in the general vicinity of their meager helmet display (and this is a huge HD dealer) until another lady asked if we needed help.  The young girl pointed at me and I asked about Schuberth helmets... the lady said, "No, we don't stock those - just these Harley helmets."

"OK, thank you."  Back out into the heat (it was now 88º), and making my way through some painfully slow construction traffic and back to Hart Ranch.  So, a few "Stop and Wait" moments today, but some really nice riding.

-------

The preview still for the video...



No comments: