Saturday, July 10, 2021

The Shrine of Democracy...

 

 

If you said, "Mt Rushmore," well... duh.  We did not go into the grounds around Mt Rushmore last year, due to Covid.  Oh, we rode by there a bunch last year, but never went into the parking lot.  I have missed the Rushmore experience.  Oh, sure, we visited it a bunch when we lived here, and have gone there every time we've been to the Black Hills after we moved away.  Except last year.  I marvel at this giant sculpture every time I see it... it is amazing that jackhammers and dynamite, and some impressive imagination, allowed men to carve this.

I enjoy "having breakfast with the Presidents"... having ice cream while sitting out on the viewing terrace... walking through the "Parade of Flags".  I remember Rushmore when it was a more natural experience, before the major renovation of the grounds that made it more like a Washington, D.C. memorial.  I wasn't a big fan of that renovation - it didn't change the carving, but a 6 level parking ramp, and big columns changed the feel of the experience.  And with that parking ramp came a fee for parking.  Gutzon Borglum, the artist who (along with other workers) carved the Memorial decreed that "there should never be a fee for viewing the work"... so, those who decided to "upgrade" the grounds around the carving got around that by charging for the parking.  In the grand scheme of things, it is a small fee ($10), but it is valid for a year.  So, locals who want to visit multiple times in a year don't have to pay again and again.  But, if your are touristing through the Black Hills, it is probably a one-shot.  And, if you are a senior (age 62+), the parking is half price.  Geezerdom has some privileges.  The fee is per vehicle, so we pay two of those parking fees for the scoots.  But, we will come back here again this summer.

One one of my scooter forums, I was asked for some "shots of the Vespa from the front."  Now, to be fair, shooting video isn't Joan's thing, it is mine.  But, today, I put a 360 camera on each bike and set them up so I could control the shooting of either camera from my bike.  I held my breath, but it all worked fine.  Of course, this mean Joan would be taking the lead frequently so I could get shots of my Vespa from the front (we did this last year, but with only one 360 camera).  I set up the perspective on her bike so it would be the point of view of "a passenger" on her bike when looking forward, and a frontal view of my bike when looking back.  On my bike, the view will be looking forward and a closer view of me from the rear lens.  So, yeah, today was about featuring the Vespa.  Maybe one day I'll be able to do the same for Joan on the Xmax.

We took "the long way" to Mt Rushmore, so we could get some video on Iron Mountain Road.  I didn't know what to expect for traffic on a Saturday in July, but it was pretty light, allowing for some fun video.  From Iron Mountain Road, we took the highway to Mt Rushmore, rolled in through the gates (all automated parking permits now), parked the scoots and walked up to the Memorial.  We took in the carving from a couple different perspectives, then went for some ice cream.  We found a shady spot by the building with a great view.

Then, back to the bikes.  I assumed we were heading more or less straight home from there... but Joan asked, "Do you want to take Iron Mountain Road again?"

"Yes, I do."

By this point, I had put away one of the cameras, and the one left was nearly out of battery.  No matter - I had SO MUCH video from the ride to this point.  And when I say "SO MUCH," it is going to be a long time in the editing process.  Here's a short clip to give you an idea, but it may be tomorrow (or later) before I can get through all I shot today.  (you may want to mute the sound)

A beautiful day, a fun ride, and time with the Presidents.  It felt real good.  :-)

(more video will be coming)

No comments: