Tuesday, July 20, 2021

Northern Hills...

 

Joan had an appointment for an eye exam this morning, then shopping for new frames; she was also thinking of looking around for clothes.  Nothing I can do to help with any of that, so out on the Vespa for me.

The weasels were predicting a hot and windy day today, but the lovely blue Vespa was up to the task.  I rode out Highway 44 (Rimrock Highway), turned onto Norris Peak Road, to Nemo Road, slowed down for some bridge construction work, through the town of Nemo, then down Vanocker Canyon to Sturgis.  My goal: steak tips at the Loud American Roadhouse... "Table for one, please."  ;-)

Pulling up to the Roadhouse...


 The steak tips were as good as I remembered.  Having never been to the Indian dealer in Sturgis, I made a quick stop there to check it out...



Then, a stop to see my friend Dick at Sturgis Motorsports; Dick and I have been friends for decades... we can go a couple years without seeing each other and pick up right where we left off.  Well, as we have both gotten older (seems I have been doing that faster than Dick), there is more of the "organ recital" that old guys discuss, but it was great getting caught up on each other's families.  Dick won the Grandpa competition, 6 to 0.  Of course, some talk about how the pandemic has affected us.  Really good to see my friend again.

I considered a run through Deadwood, Lead, and Spearfish Canyon, but when I came out of Sturgis Motorsports, the wind was gusting over 30mph and the temp was pushing 90º.  I took the Interstate back to Rapid City.  The Vespa dealt with the head and cross winds with no fuss, but it was a hot breeze.  It was refreshingly cool in the higher elevations on those fun curvy roads; you could feel the temperature getting warmer descending through Vanocker Canyon, approaching Sturgis. Still, a nice ride today.

Here's the video...



No comments: