Tuesday, August 29, 2023

As promised...

 

Some stills of yesterday's ride through Vanocker Canyon...

After the shot above, I moved the camera from just behind the windshield to the chin mount on my helmet...


Out of Vanocker Canyon, through the small community of Nemo, then south on Nemo Road...
 

Everything is still green; surprising considering this is almost the end of August...


Two deer on Nemo Road, as I came around the corner...

Onto Norris Peak Road.  This is a 6 mile stretch of some wonderful twisties and steep grades...


Less than halfway along Norris Peak Road, I came upon this construction...

After waiting a couple minutes, I asked the young lady with the stop sign how much of the road is torn up... she said, "About 700 feet."  The roadbed is gone.  Within about 10 seconds of her answering me, that gravel truck you can see through the windshield dumped it's load... about two feet deep of loose gravel... "Oh, hell no!"  I did a U-turn and headed back towards Nemo Road, taking that southeast into Rapid City.


In spite of all the construction, it was a good ride; great curves, hardly any traffic.  Hard to imagine just two and a half weeks ago, these roads were all thick with motorcycles during the Rally.



No comments: