Sunday, August 6, 2023

Sturgis - the 83rd...

 

No rain today - one in a row!  Joan wanted to do some shopping in Rapid City, so I was able to get on the bike and make the run to Sturgis.  Town is packed (first nice day since the Rally started).  I shot video, both with the 360 camera and the Go 3 - it is going to take me a while to sort through and edit all that.  Lots of stop and go (mostly stop) as I looked for a parking spot on Main Street.

With the bike parked, I took just the X2 (360) camera and got some video while walking around.  I picked up a (as in: single, just one) t-shirt, so it won't be my usual wardrobe update for the year.  I got a bite to eat at Gold Pan Pizza; made a new friend there: Mikey the tattoo artist.  We were standing by each other while in line for food.  He used to live in McAllen, TX, so he knows where our soon to be ex-home is located.  He said, "You should stop by the tattoo shop - in case you want to add anything..."  I have a bit of ink, don't need any more.  There seems to be plenty of face and neck tattoos this year.  But, I digress.

It was interesting to walk around.  I did walk through the BMW and Harley-Davidson displays.  Didn't sign up for any demo rides.  The sidewalks are full of people, as are the shops and vendor tents.  I had to ride past the blocked off part of Main Street to find one small place to put the CTX.

Back to the bike, set up the cameras again, out onto Lazelle St for a couple blocks, then back to one block of Main Street.  Some idiot had pulled a pickup truck onto Main Street (see the "blocked off" mention above - only motorcycle parking on Main Street), on the west bound side - fortunately, I was going east.  The guy driving the truck made it about a half block before being blocked by bikes and the crowd... it would have been interesting to see how they get that truck out of there.

On the way home, I rode through Vanocker Canyon, down Nemo Rd, out Norris Peak Rd, then back to Rapid City on Rimrock Hwy.  Traffic was pretty solid on Nemo and Norris Peak Roads, so it wasn't the usual "thrill ride"... to be expected during the Rally.

I did shoot a few photos with my phone while walking around - the video(s) will be a day or three.

Bikes...




 




Shirts (you may have to enlarge to read them)...





I'm torn between which one to wear when I visit Steph at her job: "I shaved my balls for this?" or "Sorry I was late - I was masturbating."  Or, maybe no shirt and just the star pasties?  Options.

The Budweiser Girls...


They had a Budweiser Clydesdale on the sidewalk - I didn't get a photo, but it may be in one of the videos.  I was impressed that the horse was handling all the noise and crowd.

The BMW and the Harley displays...


I had to take this photo because of the sticker shock...

$6 for a soft serve ice cream cone??  It wasn't huge.  Same thing that McDonald's sells for $1... if their ice cream machine is working.  ;-)  One slice of pizza and a soda (only one size - I'd call it a medium) was $13.  The t-shirt I bought was $21 - only $1 more than I paid at the same place last year.

The videos will be coming.


No comments: