Thursday, August 31, 2023

So, you learned your lesson?

 

Normally when someone says that to you, it is because "you should have known better."  This time, it wasn't a big deal.

I took Rufus out for a couple walks this morning.  Got in a bicycle ride.  It's a lovely morning.  Joan said to me, "You probably want to get in a scooter ride today, huh?"  Yes, we call all our motorcycle/scooter conveyances "scoots."  There had been some discussion yesterday about going into Rapid City today to get the oil changed in the Equinox; when I mentioned that, I was told, "Go get in a ride... while you can."

OK.

I got on my riding jeans and boots, grabbed the X2 camera, and got ready to head out.  Joan saw the camera and said, "You learned your lesson about not taking a camera, I see."  I think it's cute that she thinks this old dog can still learn.

It was cooler and less windy than yesterday.  A later start getting out today.  I thought I'd make the same run as yesterday, because... really, it never gets old.  Of course, there wasn't a buffalo is sight anywhere along my route.  But, I shot some video anyway because... the camera was there.  It's another one of those "maybe I'll do something with it another day" kinda things.

The take-away today: a fine ride.  I may have learned something.  Traffic wasn't as light as yesterday, but the only real hold-up was going through the original part of Keystone (not the touristy Main Street" - a small Class C with a paper license plate was pulling a flatbed trailer (with a paper plate) and a UTV on the trailer (with no plate)... and it was driving about 16 mph in a 25 mph stretch that goes on for well over a mile.  They often slowed to 9 to 10 mph when there was a curve.  I got around them at the first passing zone outside of town, where the speed limit goes up to 55 mph, and they had sped up to 26 mph.

Lots of video that I'll sort through and post a couple photos.  This one needs some explanation: I was not riding in the wrong lane - I had the camera mounted on the motorcycle behind me, so this is the view from off the back of the bike...

 



There will be some "Jim from the back" images (as above) - feel free to insert your favorite "your best side" jokes here.



I moved the camera around a bit (above), since the buffalo weren't along the road today.





--------

Summer Romance...

No, not me - Joan still doesn't let me date.  I love that joke.  I'm talking about Rufus.  We have been on either side of our next door neighbors this season, and they have a lovely golden named Daisy.  Yes, I have mentioned her before.  When I take Rufus for a walk, he always looks that direction to see if Daisy is out.

Today, Daisy's Dad was putting her in their truck to take her down to the big dog park (there are two dog parks here).  Ruf saw Daisy get into the truck and immediately walked that way... they eyed each other, Daisy from the truck, Rufus from the grass...


This is the second summer they have "been friends."  I just thought this image was sweet.

 


No comments: