Wednesday, November 20, 2019

A commitment...


I thought I might take the boat out early this morning.  The weather weasels were calling for increasing winds, so I was thinking there might be time before the southeast winds build.  Nope.  Instead, I wrestled with the boat cover...


It takes about 20 minutes to get that put on... a bit like trying to put a sport coat on a bobcat.  Now, for full disclosure, I have never tried to put a sport coat on a bobcat, but it is something we can all imagine.  I have put a sweater on Rufus, but he is a pretty easy going boy... and, I am digressing again.

The cover process goes like this: bend over the front of the boat and clip straps to a beam under the deck.  Lift the cover so I can close the front gate.  Start inserting the tabs on the cover on the starboard side of the boat, working from front to back.  Come around the corner and work my way across from starboard to port.  Then, up the port side.  Leave the tabs at the side gate off, put on knee pads, and slide under the cover to insert the poles (4 of them).  Slither back out and put that last 3 tabs in the gate.  Take off the knee pads and catch your breath.

It is more work than I care to deal with on a daily basis, so when the cover goes on, it is a commitment.  The forecast is for windy (mid-20s gusting to 40 mph) today and tomorrow.  But, unlike that last cold front, this is a warm wind.  So, warm, humid, and tropical feeling.  High today predicted to be 80º.

The boat would be OK without the cover, but putting it on keeps the sun off the seats and any grub blowing in the air out of the boat.  Joan got me a small tarp that I use as a half cover (with the bimini covering the back half of the boat) when I choose to not have the cover on.  It takes a minute or two to put that on.  Ir serves a similar protective job (including keeping bird crap off the seats) with a lot less work; flaps in the wind, though.

So, no boating today and tomorrow.  It's OK - I have a date today.  I know I have joked about Joan not letting me date, but it is not an issue as long as she is the date.  Knowing that this wind was coming, I asked her for today's movie date two days ago.  I think I read somewhere that girls don't appreciate a last minute invite for a date.  I guess they don't want it to look like they have nothing else going on?  Guys aren't like that.  If she says, "Do you want to...", I will generally say "Yes"... hoping that it isn't an invite to work on some household project.  ;-)

-------------

The date.  I'm talking boy-girl outing, not the number on the calendar.  None of your business about the boy-girl stuff, but the movie was outstanding.  Ford vs Farrari.  Two big thumbs from us.  It's a buddy movie, it has car stuff, suspense, intrique.  And, a bit of humor.  Fine acting; great cinemaphotography - the race scenes kept you glued to the screen. 



No comments: