Monday, November 4, 2019

It's like Iron Mountain Road...


... but, without the curves.

Umm... wouldn't that just be a road?  ;-)

We took the scoots out and over the causeway to have breakfast...




At Pier 19...


Breakfast was great; before heading out for some more riding, I grabbed the current "scooter tag"...


The tag was: your scooter by something seasonal in your area.  The "seasonal" happening currently is what I call "mellow time" - the summer visitors are gone, the winter visitors aren't here, yet.  This shot is in an RV park near Pier 19, and not an RV to be seen in these "patio" sites.  It will be packed when January rolls around.

Up South Padre Island...


At the convention center and a photo op at the Wyland Whaling Wall...


We saw something new there: three (really) large beach chairs...


And just behind the chairs, a wall painting of a hibiscus...


Back across the causeway, where you can see the lighthouse in Port Isabel...


Then, it was on to "that road that is like Iron Mountain Road, but without the curves."  Yes, I knew what she meant: when we are in the Black Hills, Iron Mountain Road is a "regular" for us.  Down here, it is nice to have some new, smooth road, even though curves aren't a thing here.

We pulled over and swapped scoots for a while - I wanted to try out her scoot since Joan lowered the windshield.  Here she is on my Vespa...



We had the exact opposite reactions regarding each other's scoots: the Xmax feels big to me, the Vespa feels small to her.  I like the riding position better on my Vespa, Joan definitely prefers the riding position of the Xmax.  She thought my windshield was too high, I felt hers was too low.  Nice that we both like what we have.

We swapped back; off the highway and down some back roads...


We stopped to fuel up on the way home... Joan always got better fuel mileage with her PCX compared to mine.  Yes, I chalked that up to our weight difference.  Her Xmax is heavier and has more horsepower than my Vespa - I have expected my mileage to be better than hers.  Today's result: I got 83 miles per gallon, she got 86.  No, it's not a contest.  But, if it was, she is winning.  ;-)

Good riding.  A fine breakfast.  Lovely weather.  Not a bad way to spend a Monday.


2 comments:

Bill K said...

Jim,
I think you just have a lead wrist, compard to a lead foot. LOL

Bill Kelleher

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Hi Bill - I'm guessing the lead is more likely in my ass and that extra weight makes a difference. Joan is not exactly "sedate" in the way she rides... but I do admit that I like the feel of the acceleration as that scoot pulls off the line. But, even at 83 mpg, I am getting better than average mileage for a Vespa GTS. For Joan's Xmax, Yamaha says it will get 75 mpg - and she got 86. I am thinking that after I go to sleep, she is going out to the scoots and siphoning gas out of mine to put in hers. ;-)