Wednesday, November 27, 2019

Opposites...


Yesterday was unpleasantly windy.  Today when I got up, it was still, humid, and a bit of fog.  73º (at 7:00 am) and humid.  No, this isn't about weather forecasts.  Well, not entirely.

I enjoy spending some time on internet forums that cover the things that interest me: boating, guitars, scooting... you know: the important stuff.  I enjoy reading about that stuff.  There is generally a good exchange of ideas, and like-minded people who also have an interest in the same things.

Of course, as any site gets enough participation, a contrarian will emerge.  A couple weeks ago, it was an idiot on my favorite scooter forum who signed on just to bad-mouth a brand and model of scooter that he use to have... in his words: he was "saving" others from making the same mistake he had... and in the process became quite vile.  Fortunately, the moderators on that site gave him a "short break" (also know as: a temporary banning).  He immediately signed back on under another name, proclaiming that "You can't stop me from speaking the truth!"  Well, apparently, the moderators could, because he got himself booted off that forum.  Who knows if it will be permanent, but more than likely, he will move on to some other forum to annoy.  It seems to be what that type does.

The Vespa forum where I participate allows discussion on more than Vespa scooters.  One thread turned to electric vehicles - scooters, motorcycles, cars, even the recent Tesla announcement of their "unusual" e-truck...


I was being kind with "unusual."  Everyone has opinions, mine is that is fugly.  With a capital FUG.  Interestingly enough, the discussion of that truck didn't turn argumentative.  Something closer to our scoots was a discussion about e-bikes (bicycles).  I mentioned that we've had a pair of them for over 3 years, and enjoy them.  One guy came back with "Don't you think those are... um, cheating?"

Not the first time I have heard that comment, and always by someone who has never tried an e-bike; and more likely: someone who doesn't currently ride any kind of bicycle.  They don't know what they don't know.

My first thought after a comment like "cheating" is: cheating at what?  It isn't like I'm racing against traditional bikes.  (One person called them (traditional bikes) "acoustic bikes"... like electric guitars and acoustic guitars... get it?)  To a person, everyone on that forum who has an e-bike thinks they are a good way to go.  Personally, I get better exercise using my e-bike than my traditional bike.  Certainly, you can dial in as much pedal assist as you want - or even use the twist throttle and not pedal at all, essentially, making it an electric scooter.

We have used ours to take on trails and hills that would have us walking a traditional bike.  For my daily exercise, I dial in the smallest amount of of pedal assist, put the bike in third gear and get a good resistance workout while averaging 10 mph.  Put some music on my earbuds and enjoy pedaling.  The pedal assist keeps the effort consistent.

This particular guy has been on the Vespa forum a long time and comes across to me as a contrarian.  He happens to be from England - the Vespa forum has an international feel to it.  This guy ran off a guy from Italy who doesn't speak English and relies on a translation site to read and post... the contrarian made the Italian guy not feel welcome, even though quite a few of came to the Italian guy's defense.  The English translation wasn't always perfect, but you could get the gist of it.  Kinda like a playground bully.  It didn't take long to find out that he had never ridden an e-bike... "I don't have to try it to know I won't like it." 

In the world of internet forums, everybody gets to have an opinion.  You have to be able to separate the grain (valuable) from the chaff (worthless).  Having some perspective on who is doing the writing helps.  I try not to opine about things about which I have no experience.  Yeah, kind of the opposite of some of these forum "experts."

Our world has changed a lot since the internet became a part of most people's lives.  You can find out information with a couple clicks.  Often times, accurate information.  ;-)  Living at "the edge of the country," we have shopping opportunities similar to those in any big city... with the 2-day Amazon Prime shipping helping.  I can converse with other Vespa owners, even though there aren't many in this part of the country.  Of course, some of those owners bemoan the fact that they are "a half hour away from a decent Vespa dealer."  300 miles for us.

I think I'll go for an e-bike ride.  :-)


3 comments:

Kent said...

Well said Capt'n..

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Thanks, Kent; and let me be one of the first to say it: Happy Holidays!

Karla with a "K" said...

Amen! I also dislike what happened between the Brit and the Atillian. Glad to have discovered your blog!

-Karlsbadd