Thursday, November 14, 2019

Here's Johnny!


I am quoting a scene from the movie The Shining.


If you aren't familiar with the premise: the guy is a caretaker at a hotel in the mountains that is closed during the winter.  Snow.  Cabin fever to the max.  Crazy.  Bat-shit crazy.  I get it.

We walked the boardwalk along the beach on Monday; it got up to 80º; sunshine... lots of glorious sunshine.  And then, Monday evening... the norther blew in... gawd-awful wind, cold (it actually got down to 39º here on Tuesday morning.  Sideways blowing rain.  Yes, I know the majority of the country is in the grips of a "big chill"... this is the Tropical Tip, for goodness sake.

Just like Jack Nicholson in that photo above, we have pretty much been house-bound since Monday.  Oh, Tuesday Joan cooked all day, and I made some music.  We were pretty much normal.  OK, I did get out of the house on Wednesday to go to the dentist; and, we went out for lunch.  But, we were inside, staying out of Mother Nature's evil clutches the rest of the time.  Today... OK, I did what I could to help the guy who bought our Honda scooter to get it tied down; and, yeah, we did go out for lunch - comfort food: chicken fried steak and chicken fried chicken.  I think it is a well-known medical fact that eating anything chicken fried is helpful in these "bracing against the weather" situations.  But, other than all that stuff... house-bound.  No scooter riding or boating.  No bicycle riding.  I have bundled up for a couple walks, but not my usual number of outings.

Yes, I agree with you: this ain't right!

I was forced to watch some daytime TV.  Judge Judy.  I appreciate her take-no-crap way of dealing with the stupid people... and there is SO MUCH stupid.  No one takes responsibility for anything.  Just a big cluster of stupid.  Yes, I know what you are thinking: "Why are you watching that stupid stuff?"  It's Mother Nature's fault, not mine!  ;-)  If she would just knock off this cold, windy crap, we could get back to normal life.  But, after three full days, it feels like it will never end!

"Oh, you poor thing - three whole days.  Do you not remember living in the frozen northland where it could be three months of cold.  Real cold.  And snow.  You don't have any snow, so quit your bitchin'!"  Wow... you guys are harsh.  Just like Mother Nature.

Yeah, I'm kidding.  Mostly.  Joan finds projects to work on during these lulls of pleasant weather.  I'm not looking for a project... unless it involves riding a scoot or looking at some dolphins from a boat.

I just got back from a walk.  Yes, I bundled up: jacket, stocking cap, gloves.  The wind has kicked up again.  It was down to about 12 to 15 for a while; 21 gusting to 30 right now.  Sunset, thanks to "falling back" now happens shortly after noon.  Well, it feels that way.  It doesn't really matter, 'cause I haven't seen a sunset in over 3 days.  Yes, it is bad.  Breaking in the door and screaming, "Here's Johnny!" kinda bad.

What?  Joan is making me a hot chocolate, apparently with a splash of adult beverage in it.  I think I heard her say something about "a large splash."  I think everything's going to be OK.  Probably.



2 comments:

Hudson River Boater said...

Yes-- The World is Full of Stupid.. The older I get-- The more I realize/See it.. I always say "The World Goes Round on Square Tires"..

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Yep. It should hurt to be that stupid... maybe they'd stop? ;-)