Saturday, November 30, 2019

Another good reason...


Like I need a reason.

It is Small Business Saturday.  We have a plan to walk around the Lighthouse Square and see what the local shops are offering.  We always find something we didn't know we needed.

No, this post isn't about a reason to shop.  As has become part of my daily routine, I was out riding my e-bike this morning.  In the gusty wind (south at 27 mph, gusting into the 30s).  I admit I did dial in a bit more pedal assist when going into the worst of the wind.  But, the real advantage for that "e-power" came early in my ride.

I was riding in the Sea Cottage row when I saw a woman ahead in her bathrobe.  Not far from her was a medium size dog.  My "Spidey-sense" tingled.  The dog wasn't on a leash.  The woman was occupied trying to keep her robe closed in the wind.  When the dog saw me coming, he made a bee-line for me.  I haven't had much of a problem with rogue dogs in my rides/walks... this felt different.

The woman didn't say a word or make any attempt to call her dog.  As the dog got close, I could see he had his fangs bared.  My first thought was to kick it in the head... but, that would make me that bad guy.  As the dog was about to intersect my vector, I raised my leg (self-defense to keep from getting bit, but ready to kick)... and at the same time twisted the throttle for the electric motor.  The dog snapped at me, missing.

I almost immediately went from 10 mph to 20.  The dog was just behind me... but I was pulling away.  I like my e-bike.  I didn't have to kick him or risk getting bit or knocked down.  And, still, the woman didn't say anything to the dog.

That street stops at the end of the block, so I had to come past that house again.  No sign of the dog, but the woman was walking back up her steps.  I kept my guard up, but it wasn't necessary.

Three and a half years with this e-bike, and that is the first time I have used the throttle to avoid a dog attack.  Nice to have that as an option.  The dog probably thought I was "cheating"... I thought the dog and its owner were assholes.

I get to go Small Business shopping instead of getting treated for a dog bite.


No comments: